sweet hard cider recipe for rookies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reevesy105

Reaction score
Im looking for a cider recipe using noyest but only wilde yest and how to make it sweet to plz help me as i am new to all of this

Dont do wild yeast. Dry yeast is less than $3 a pouch at any homebrew store and online. I recommend Nottinghanm. It is cheap and will give you a good end product that is drinkable. Wild yeast is a gamble that will likely turn out bad.

Recipe is easy.

One pouch Nottingham
Three cups compressed brown sugar
Five gallons of Apple Juice
Six gallon bucket or carboy
Airlock

Ferment dry.

After fermentation is done, transfer to secondary bucket or carboy, add yeast inhibitors. Add a couple packages of apple juice concentrate or sugar to taste, let it sit for a few days to make sure fermentation doesnt start again, bottle. Keep it cold just to be certain that fermentation doesnt restart, since you probably dont have a hydrometer. If you think you will ever do this again, spend $8 and buy a hydrometer.

You can skip the yeast inhibitors, but dont EVER let it warm up in the bottles. They will explode. Im not talking like when someone shakes up a beer, I am talking they will rip the neck off of a glass bottle, and embed glass into the trunk of your car. Trust me, I know from experience.

Good recipe. You can allow to carb then stovetop pasteurize. No bottle bombs!

If you are just looking to get drunk, a cup of sugar per gallon, add some bread yeast, wait two weeks. Syphon off, add a simple syrup to taste, drink, drunk, burp.

Hi,

I have been experimenting with getting my hard cider to be a bit sweeter lately. The best method I have found so far is actually pretty simple:

1) Add an extra 2 cups of raw sugar to your juice per 10l at the start.

2) Ferment the cider out until it is complete.

3) Bottle the dry cider with a bit of extra sugar for carbonation.

4) After a week, put the bottles in the fridge.

at this stage you will have some dry carbonated cider which is about 8-9% alcohol. To get it sweet all you need to do is:

5) When pouring the cider into a glass, mix it with sparkling (carbonated) apple juice. Personally I prefer it at a ratio of 4 parts cider, 1 part juice, but add more juice if you like it sweeter.

You don't need to add anything to stop the yeast since the sweet juice only gets added just before drinking.

The best thing about this method is that your cider can be made as sweet as you like it at the time of drinking. If you mix it 50/50 it tastes very sweet and is pretty much like drinking carbonated apple juice. 4:1 ratio cider:juice is like a slightly sweet commercial cider. If someone likes it dry they can have it straight.

Back