collar keezer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cajun_Tiger33

Reaction score
I am building a collar keezer and i was wondering what size drill bit should i use? Also which is better a 3/16" tailpiece or a 1/4" tailpiece?

7/8" drill bit is tight, 1" drill bit is loose. Both will work.
3/16" tailpiece works well with 3/16" ID tubing.
1/4" tailpiece will work with 3/16" ID tubing but if
the tubing is that nice barrier hose stuff, some find it difficult to stretch over the barb.

Not that I have tried any of this. Just trying to figure out a keezer build myself.

So have you built your keezer yet? If so what size holes did you drill and which size tail piece do you use?

My keezer is under construction.
I will probably go with a 15/16" drill bit since spade bits are cheap.
But I won't drill the holes until I have the shanks in hand for a test hole.

I was going to go with 3/16" tailpiece.
But I have been looking at John Guest fittings.
They seem pretty cool. So that might mean going with
a 1/4" MFL on the shanks. Not sure I have it figured out.

I just finished the majority of my keezer build this past weekend. I used a 7/8 for the shanks with 3/16" tailpiece. It made for a nice fit but I did run a round file through them just to smooth them out. Also, a big thanks to everyone on HBT for all the good advice. I'll be posting some pics hopefully this coming weekend. An electrician friend also recommended seal tight for the interior wires running my temp controller to keep any condensation from the wires and controller. It added the finishing touch on the inside.

I used 1/4 inch barbs and they work well. I got the faucets and shanks from Farmhouse Brewing Supply. I think they are still the best priced on the Internet.

image-2092780625.jpg

image-3059625149.jpg

Back