Is in valve connected properly?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drunken0ne

Reaction score
Ok so this is the first time kegging and I am paranoid about everything. I do not hearing any hissing, but it looks like the valve is not on correctly. is this connected properly? I don't think the lock should look like the ball bearings are exposed? Shouldn't the outer plastic sleeve cover the bearings? It feels impossible to push the outer plastic fitting down, and I don't want to break my new toy. Feeling stupid writing this as it is a ball lock! Also, not trying to fill the fridge with precious CO2.

image-3901010116.jpg

It doesn't look like it is properly seated to me. Did you lubricate the o-ring on the post? That could make a big difference. Also, are you sure you have the posts in the correct position? The in and out posts are different. Sometimes I get them mixed up when installing them.

Ya that ring should seat down and cover the bearings. I have to give some of mine a pretty good push. Careful though because that ring can slip off the bottom and the whole thing comes apart.

Problem solved, the valves apparently were on the wrong side. But they appeared to be the same size. So, I tried the picnic tap on both sides and it worked, while the CO2 line only fitted on one. Changed valves to the correct sides and it worked. Thanks for the quick reply!

Kegged beer next weekend, I just can't wait! Lol

Problem solved, the valves apparently were on the wrong side. But they appeared to be the same size. So, I tried the picnic tap on both sides and it worked, while the CO2 line only fitted on one. Changed valves to the correct sides and it worked. Thanks for the quick reply!

Excellent!

I was just going to post that the post in the picture looks like an "out" post, and not an "in" (gas) post!

The "in" post has tiny notches around the bottom. If you post a picture of the other (correct) post, I could point that out to you so you know where to look.

And as was mentioned, the short diptube goes in the "in" side under the post. The long diptube goes under the "out", with the unnotched sides.

And the rings to snap on quite well when they are on the correct post, but sometimes it takes a bit of "oomph" to get them on there.

I have the correct tubes for the in and out. Also, that is a great tip about the notches, I looked and see the difference in the valves. Thanks you for pointing it out, and to think I was going to paint the the valve.

I have the correct tubes for the in and out. Also, that is a great tip about the notches, I looked and see the difference in the valves. Thanks you for pointing it out, and to think I was going to paint the the valve.

Oh, one other thing I just thought of! When you break down kegs to clean them, keep the parts separate. I actually put all the "out" stuff on the right side of the sink, and the "in" stuff on the left because it's easy to mix them up. Also, when you clean more than one keg, keep those separate from other kegs because they aren't interchangeable, due to other manufacturer's. They might look alike- but they often aren't!

You can safe yourself a ton of headaches by just keeping them separate. I wish someone would have told me that about 7 years ago!

Back