I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doing well Beast!

I just dry hopped an amber and cleaned and sanitized a few kegs. Tomorrow I'm kegging a hard apple cider.

Enjoy your brew day tomorrow!

So. I bought a set of lockpicks to play with. Not because I thought they had any real practical use for me, just as toys. I thought I would try them out tonight on the lock on my store room door. I've never picked a lock before. I had it open in about five minutes..... It would have been less, but I actually turned the cylinder the wrong way a couple times.

Hmm, well I knew that was a cheap lock but wow. Tomorrow I'm going to give it a try on my front door lock. I really hope that one isn't as easy to open. If it is, I may be buying new door locks tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've always wanted to play with lock picks, too! Interesting results you got! I'll have to look in to getting some. Where the heck do you even buy them?

I got them off this website. They have their own subsection under self defense. A moderately crazy friend of mine was showing me some things he wants to get from their zombie survival section.

I got them off this website. They have their own subsection under self defense. A moderately crazy friend of mine was showing me some things he wants to get from their zombie survival section.

Dammit, now I'm going have to impulsively buy lockpicks. Which one(s) did you get, specifically? I wonder if that pistol-shaped "e-z pick" is actually worth it...

emjay said:
Dammit, now I'm going have to impulsively buy lockpicks. Which one(s) did you get, specifically? I wonder if that pistol-shaped "e-z pick" is actually worth it...

You probably bought the Orcrist Sword of Thorin Oakenshield. That's a kind of cool site though. A lot of the stuff looks kind of cheesy, but I'm a sucker for weapons. I wanna buy a spear.

Dang, I missed the lock picking party last night. My electricity went out right at the end of my boil so just did the no-chill thing again and went on to bed. Just got it finished up and pitched the yeast this morning. Damn it smells good. I love oregano.

bottlebomber said:
Luckily you're an urban apartment dweller, and millions of children aren't depending on your gardening skills. You'd do ok with these though. They just kind of dangle there and look plant-like, and need to care or attention whatsoever. And occasionally one of them puts off a really cool looking flower!

Now I want some of those plants!

passedpawn said:
Did some cooking tonight, I've finally perfected my Zigeunerschnitzel. Been working on it for a while.

My favorite German restaurant went out of business a year ago. I found the german owner on LinkedIn, contacted him, and bought him lunch Friday. He gave me his recipe for that schnitzel and also for Jagerschnitzel. Not only did I finally nail the sauce, but he taught me the secret to making the perfect schnitzel, and it worked! I'm stoked.

This

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8y-HLLFT1ek

Wow, good thinking! Glad you got your recipes :)

BobbiLynn said:
Dang, I missed the lock picking party last night. My electricity went out right at the end of my boil so just did the no-chill thing again and went on to bed. Just got it finished up and pitched the yeast this morning. Damn it smells good. I love oregano.

Did you go all oregano, or did you use hops, too?

I just saw your other thread, so no hops. Don't forget to update us when it's done!

I just saw your other thread, so no hops. Don't forget to update us when it's done!

I am really excited about that batch. I just want to drink it like it is now, sooo good! So I was going to clean the kettle and the smell of oregano from residue on the sides and bottom, I couldn't possibly wash it away, so brewing an IPA today with the residue in the kettle. Probably in the end, the oregano flavor will be non-existent but who knows. The IPA will have plenty of hops to go with any leftover flavors from the oregano.

Never mind, brewing postponed due to rain. Started as I got to the mash temp then turned on the TV. Lots more rain coming. Well, the water in the kettle can wait.

I just bought the 10$ wallet set.

You probably bought the Orcrist Sword of Thorin Oakenshield. That's a kind of cool site though. A lot of the stuff looks kind of cheesy, but I'm a sucker for weapons. I wanna buy a spear.
Yeah, I have a weakness for blades as well. I'll probably pick myself up something like this eventually.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am not going to be tempted to spend my money on those things. Won't even go look around.

Brew is resuming where I left off, re-heating the mash water. Rain won't be back until later tonight so happy brew day dance 2 days in a row.

:ban:

:mug:

Friends showed up from out of town, distracted me, mash temp went down to 143, I was aiming for 155 degrees fahrenheit. And sparge water is over 200 degrees now. Oops. Going to bring the mash back to 155 while at the same time cooling the sparge to 170. It's okay, the beer will be just fine.

BobbiLynn said:
Friends showed up from out of town, distracted me, mash temp went down to 143, I was aiming for 155 degrees fahrenheit. And sparge water is over 200 degrees now. Oops. Going to bring the mash back to 155 while at the same time cooling the sparge to 170. It's okay, the beer will be just fine.

You don't need to cool the sparge, actually with the lower mash temp it should be perfect. Have faith! Brewing is easy and tannin extraction from heat is a myth.

Yeah, I didn't wait for it to even out, temps will be fine, back to the boil now and the rain is coming back early. Thunder is roaring and lightning in the distance. I will just have one more homebrew and carry on.

Ughh, storm on it's way looks menacing. Worse than the last one that just passed. Hopefully it will hold off for one hour. Well, now, 50 minutes.

Raining now and the thunder getting louder and louder, I turned up the propane heat on my kettle to keep a rolling boil, added the magnum hops, 1 oz pellets 17 minutes ago. Now raining harder, I better go turn up the propane to keep a boil. Aack, still 40 minutes or so to go!

Not looking good out there, or sounding good, gonna add the cluster now and hopefully be able to keep a boil long enough to add the Falconers Flight near flame out.

Please, can the rain stay away 12 more minutes? Storm quickly on it's way sounds bad. Probably I will lose electricity again. This sucks donkey butt.

Sorry to go on and on, not positive about this, but feeling pretty sure I will be struck by lightning if I continue to try and brew in this weather. Another batch that will be finished the next day. Still keeping it's boil, I only need a few more minutes.

Downpour, no time left, will have to go fetch the kettle before it overflows.

Well good news, I'm alive, the storm finally passed... carry on.... all is well...

I'm glad you're still alive!

I think I might be dead, because I'm in heaven with tonight's dinner!

Chorizo burgers stuffed with white cheddar curds!

IMG-20130414-00771.jpg

Back