Edmund Fitzgerald

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryno1981

Reaction score
Has anyone tried doing an extract Edmund Fitzgerald clone? If so would you be willing to share the recipe?

I found a recipe for it in Best of BYO's 250 Classic Clone Recipes,page 25.
Extract with Grains;
OG-1.060
FG-1.015
IBU-37
SRM-34
ABV-5.8%
6.6lb (3kg) Cooper's light,unhopped LME
1.1lb (.49kg) light DME
12oz (.34kg) crystal 60L
8oz (.22kg) Chocolate malt 350L
8oz (.22kg) Roasted barley 450L
1oz (28g) northern brewer hop pellets,9%AA,60 minutes
1/2oz (14g) fuggle hop pellets,4.75%AA,30 minutes
1/2oz (14g) cascade hop pellets,5.75%AA,0 minutes
1/2tsp yeast nutrient,last 15 minutes of boil
WLP013 London ale yeast
.75C (150g) dextrose for bottle priming
*** Steep the crushed grains in 1.5 gallons (5.6L) @ 155F (68C) for 30 minutes. Remove grains from the wort & sparge with 2QTS (1.8L) of hot water(no temp given?),so I assume 165-170F. Add LME & DME & bring to a boil. Add hops & yeast nutrient per schedule.
** This where,again there top off & cooling method are a bit backwards. So here's the way I/we usually do it. Chill the wort to 75F & strain into FV. Top off with cold water to 5 gallons (19L). After top off,wort should be 68F (20C). Aerate the wort heavily & pitch yeast. Hold at this temp till fermentation is complete. Condition in secondary one week it says. I'd just leave it in primary till it settles out clear or slightly misty. Then bottle.

Yeah,I did. My old buddy & I used to go by the old Lorain Port Authority that Spitzer's own now back in the day goin fishin. The Fitz used to completely dwarf the local freighters! It was friggin HUGE! Then,one day when it would usually be there...it wasn't. Does anyone know,where the love of God goes,when the waves turn the minutes to hours?? It always effects me,as we used to talk to those crewmen...Maybe I'll try this one myself?...

You're welcome. That free mag of 250 recipes will def come in handy around here. Also a good excuse to try using one of those plain Cooper's LME cans.

Back