hops: take them out or leave them in?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

triskelion

Reaction score
I'm thinking of brewing something with a good bit of hop flavor and aroma, either a lager or ipa, haven't decided yet. I've always boiled hops in a bag for easy removal. Is there anything to be said for leaving the boiled hops in the fermenter? I haven't heard of it being done before, I'm guessing that all of the hoppy goodness will have been boiled out of them.

nothing wrong with doing that. Can produce a slightly more hazy beer but time and cold crashing can clear most, if not all of that up. I don't pay much attention to keeping hops and/or a little trub out of the fermenter.

If you want more flavor/aroma, though, add more hops from 20 on down, and consider dry-hopping (that I would do in a bag)

I get a lot better hop utilization not using bags so I always dump the hops straight in the boil.

If I am fermenting in one of my buckets, I usually pour through a 5 gallon paint strainer bag.

If I am using my glass carboy and have more than an ounce of hops in the kettle, I just dump it all in except for the sludge at the very bottom. I've tried filtering through a stainless mesh strainer but the hops clog it up too fast and I can't tell a difference anyway.

If you use a plate chiller or a pump, free floating hops might cause a problem, but I don't really know as I don't have either (yet).

I use a large dual layer fine mesh strainer & strain everything out. Especially if I'm going to wash the yeast. The trub does compact by racking time. But I only get 3/8" or so.

I've done both, I find that loose hops in the boil make a bigger difference than in those muslin bags. Compensate with more hops if you want to do an easy/less trub transfer to primary by using those bags.

I'll defiantly stop using hop bags in the boil and see what happens, my beers don't taste quite as hoppy as the recipes should be, probably is because of the bag.
How do you think leaving in, say the 15 min or 5 min hops vs dry hoping with the same amount work out?
I'm trying to be as economical as I can, or a cheapskate it you like :D. I want to use simcoe in something and it costs more than double here than the saaz and hallertau that I've used previously.

The late hops are the ones you can replace or supplement with dry-hopping. These are aroma hops. For flavor, that's more in the mid-range additions. Unless you're using whole hops and are worried about clogging a valve or something, I'd just put them all in the kettle without a bag, but I DO use a bag for dry-hopping, I just make it large and loose and I squeeze it when I pull it out.

wait a minute.........errr...

Latest posts

Back