Looking for beer distance learning courses

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shred

Former Microbrewery Founder & Pro Brewer
Reaction score
I'd like to learn more about the whole brewing process and science, profiling flavors and beer judging.

Does anyone know of some good, affordable online courses? I've looked at a few, but I don't see much in the way of reviews from actual students.

No. You will actually have to socialize and talk with people. Sorry. :)

Seriously, check out BrewingTV. About the closest thing to a free brew seminar that you'll find, and it's pretty informative. I'm sure that there is other stuff out there as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have 2 of the 3 books you mentioned, but I'm very much an interactive person. Books (unless they're captivating fiction) put me right to sleep and my ADHD doesn't allow me to absorb what I read before crashing.

YouTube is a great source. Also your LHBS might have classes you can sign up for. There might also be some brew clubs in your local area, just google it.

I don't know what Siebel offers online, but it's a great brewing school. They might be able to help with what you are looking for.

I don't know of any courses that help you judge, really, except for the Study Guide on the BJCP website. It's long, and pretty informative, and it really helped me learn what I needed for the BJCP exam. I think that classes held "in person" are easier to lean in, as they even have off-flavor and sensory training, but since I live in the middle of nowhere I was self-taught.

Here's the link for Siebel: http://www.siebelinstitute.com/

The BJCP study guide: http://www.bjcp.org/study.php

I printed out the study guide and read it thoroughly. It's very helpful with basic brewing science and tasting.

Looks like Siebel does have some online courses, but they don't run very frequently and they're really pricey (about $1000 for the first one I looked at). I'm looking at a couple of the webinars from BetterBeerScores.com and wondering if they're worthwhile. Very affordable. I think it's $35 for the intro to all grain course and about $100 each for the BJCP prep courses.

My LHBS does offer courses, but I think they're only running first-timer/beginner courses right now. They've been pretty busy running the shop and working on opening their new brewery.

Back