Planting different varieties of hops, space needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wfowlks

Reaction score
So I am planting some hop rhizomes in large potters (like old wine barrel size potters. And the instructions I were reading said to not plant 2 hop varieties that are different within 5 feet of each other, I would assume that would be just if you were planting in the ground, so that over time the varieties dont co-mingle.

But I wanted to plant two hop varieties in different planters, but let the vines grow up onto a wire, but the wires would only be like 1.5 feet apart, is that ok?

I am doing this because I am living in a duplex and renting, so space, as well as not modifying the property are concerns here.

Thanks

So I am planting some hop rhizomes in large potters (like old wine barrel size potters. And the instructions I were reading said to not plant 2 hop varieties that are different within 5 feet of each other, I would assume that would be just if you were planting in the ground, so that over time the varieties dont co-mingle.

But I wanted to plant two hop varieties in different planters, but let the vines grow up onto a wire, but the wires would only be like 1.5 feet apart, is that ok?

I am doing this because I am living in a duplex and renting, so space, as well as not modifying the property are concerns here.

Thanks

Since they grow upwards, and reach out with tendrils, they will probably intermix about 20 feet up. You'd never be able to sort out which are which!

Drops a foot and a half apart? That'll get you in the end.

You'll likely be able to keep the bines separated for a good 15 foot climb or even more, but as soon as the side-shoots start, those two strains will be totally married from within four feet of the ground all the way to the leader tips.

It's tough enough thrashing around with enormous prickly hop plants at harvest, but having to deal with interwoven strains is my idea of a really unhappy afternoon...

Cheers!

Yoop may know, but for first year plants it might be a good idea so the plant puts all its energy in one shoot. Not like you will use the hops first year anyway

First year plants (8 of 12 - the others are off stage left). All grown from rhizomes - some of them the most pathetic you'll ever see (a #2 pencil dwarfed those)
ab_aug_26_2011_01_sm.jpg

Half of the first year harvest. I did quite a few all-homegrown IPAs over the next year. The Chinook had a kick-butt AA to boot.
ab_aug_26_2011_07_sm.jpg

The message? Don't sell the first year short...

Cheers!

How far do the side shoots go? If I keep them spaced about 3-4 feet apart from the 10-25 foot of the twine will that suffice? I kind of have like a pergola-canopy monster going, and I have about 6 feet to work with. I was thinking of sliding the 2 different strains a bit further apart in th emiddle, and at the end, and maybe doing:
| 1 foot | 4 feet | 1 foot|
where each of the vertical bars is a vine support.

oneandahalfshepherds said:
Yoop may know, but for first year plants it might be a good idea so the plant puts all its energy in one shoot. Not like you will use the hops first year anyway

The guy who runs hop union debunked this. I makes sense on a commercial scale for the hop picker, but has nothing to do with putting all of the energy to one shoot. At least he said it on an interview with the brewing network.

How far do the side shoots go? If I keep them spaced about 3-4 feet apart from the 10-25 foot of the twine will that suffice? I kind of have like a pergola-canopy monster going, and I have about 6 feet to work with. I was thinking of sliding the 2 different strains a bit further apart in th emiddle, and at the end, and maybe doing:
| 1 foot | 4 feet | 1 foot|
where each of the vertical bars is a vine support.

Why cant you do

| 6 Feet |

??

Thats basically what im doing

I have 3 types in 14ish feet of space

1 Foot | 6 Feet | 6 Feet | 1 Foot

Granted i pulled mine in 1 foot on the sides since i had the room, but essentially its identical to yours...

I thought that at the top the 2 vines of the same kind might compete with each other? But if I can put them together at the top I'll just do that.

Latest posts

Back