Wort from a micro brew - help with recipe!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davepeds

Reaction score
I submitted this to recipes forum, but got a couple views and replies only. Wanted some more input, so I'm casting a line out in the beginners section.

This is cool. A local microbrew, just opened, is doing a homebrew collaboration. They're making a simple pale ale wort: modest bitterness at 35 IBU and OG in the 1.050 range. There will be no added flavoring or aroma hops. They boil it, cool it, and dole it out to homebrewers in a celebration - 5 gal at a time. We take it home, do strange things to it, and we'll bring it all back in for a party in 2-3 months.

I'm excited, but entirely stuck. There are just too many options. I've had ideas as weird as a savory beer, boring as a simple pale ale, and all kinds between. Since this brewery is being so cool with us, and because it's such a hi five to home brewing, I thought I'd open my 5 gallons up to the HBT audience.

What should we do? Sky's the limit, except I don't have a lagering system.
Also, since they put it up on their website, I'm assuming it's ok to out them on their kick ass idea.
http://roughtailbeer.com/blog

So far, the suggestions were to add durian fruit the secondary and another suggestion to reboil and add flavoring and aroma hops.
Reboiling would be a pain in the arse, I'm not doing that.

I was thinking about a few things
1) boil up a little DME, maybe a quart or two, and aroma hop that to add in
2) some unusual yeast
3) sour - but it would be my first sour attempt, i don't wanna do that
4) add fruit - ok, but what fruit, how much, when, and what would I be going for?
5) get a gallon of super-hopped yeast starter that I pitch the commercial wort onto

Ideas! Please!

Sounds cool! I wish someone around here would do something like that. If it were me I would try and do something out of the ordinary to stand out. I might do a sour mash for a couple days, boil it to kill everything once it was sour enough, then add a saison yeast strain like 3711. Just what I would probably do, most likely not the best suggestion. Anyway, good luck!

Sounds cool! I wish someone around here would do something like that. If it were me I would try and do something out of the ordinary to stand out. I might do a sour mash for a couple days, boil it to kill everything once it was sour enough, then add a saison yeast strain like 3711. Just what I would probably do, most likely not the best suggestion. Anyway, good luck!

If I had 5gal of Pale Ale Wort for free I would make the pistachio pale ale from BYO a couple months ago. I've been wanting to try it and I think if I got a party wort to screw with, I would make that beer. PM me if you want me to dig up the recipe. I have it at home.

Latest posts

Back