IPA recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dylanphelan

Reaction score
Hi

I want to brew another IPA tomorrow. I'm busy working out a recipe based on what ingredients i have in stock. Would really appreciate some feedback.

NOTE: I only have 50g of simcoe, plenty amarillo, quite a bit of cascade. Also got chinook, columbus, magnum and a few others.

I will prob push up the dry hops a bit.

Grain Bill

6.33 kg Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) 3.7 %
0.35 kg Cara Blond 20 (Castle Malting) (10.2 SRM) 4.7 %
0.35 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) 4.7 %
0.35 kg Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) 4.7 %
0.17 kg White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) 2.2 %

Hops

20.00 g Magnum [13.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 28.2 IBUs
25.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 13.0 IBUs
25.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 9 9.5 IBUs
25.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 10 5.2 IBUs
25.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 7.3 IBUs
25.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 12 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Cascade [6.50 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
25.00 g Simcoe [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
30.00 g Amarillo Gold [10.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
15.00 g Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

5.00 g Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 8 -

1.0 pkg Bry / Danstar American Ale Yest

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.063 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 %
Bitterness: 63.1 IBUs
Est Color: 5.7 SRM

:mug:

You former British colonies and your metric!

Grain bill looks good, though I have no experience with Cara Blond. I have been reading a lot about 2-5% wheat in IPAs, it's made it into my next batch, too.

Some people say that Cascade can overpower with dry hopping and flameout additions. I haven't noticed it that much and you seem to have kept it on the smaller side, but I thought it was worth mentioning. I would definitely drink this beer!

Sidenote: I'm brewing an ale with rooibos this weekend (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/rooibos-african-ale-recipe-help-405422/), would love to hear about your recipe.

haha, i'm still getting used to the metric and imperial measurements on here. there's a very hand app for firefox/chrome that converts the two.

Anyways - I selected Cara Blonde because i wanted a light caramel malt. I don't have much experience with it either. It seemed to be the closest that i could get though. I would have liked to try some honey malt, but I can't get it.

This will be the first time I'm trying wheat in my IPA.

I agree that Cascade can be overpowering. that's why I've only used a little in the dry hop and some at flameout. I will prob add further hops to the dry hop addition.

The area that I'm least unsure of are the late hop additions. Any input there?
I don't want too much of musky / cat pee simcoe aroma, that's why i'm using my 50 grams at 5 mins and 0 mins - none for dry hopping.

Would any of you suggest further late hop additions? I have a few american varieties on hand.

With regards to the Rooibos ale - I shared a few pints of it at a recent homebrew competition and it was quite a hit. I'll pm you the recipe that I used. PS: next time I will add more Rooibos.

I'd personally save some of the simcoe for dry hop because I love it. I might be immune to the cat pee thing though, I use both citra and simcoe a lot and have never gotten it with either. I seem to just get straight pine when dry hopping with simcoe. I also like chinook in combo with other hops like amarillo and cascade for dry hopping. Any way you go sounds like it will be good!
:mug:

I'd personally save some of the simcoe for dry hop because I love it. I might be immune to the cat pee thing though, I use both citra and simcoe a lot and have never gotten it with either.

I really like the simcoe dry hop - I've only used it once... In an IPA. It did have a slightly musky, pungent kind of aroma which i don't think everyone would appreciate, although the previous IPA was a big hit at my last homebrew fest.

Maybe I'll cut down some of those late additions and use a little for the dry hop. I nearly bought some more simcoe today, but decided to rather make do with all the hops that i have in stock.

I also like chinook in combo with other hops like amarillo and cascade for dry hopping.

I've never dry hopped with chinook, but would like to try bringing more of the other american varieties that i have into the mix... :mug:

Back