Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheDude1001

Reaction score
Hey guys I just recently brewed my first batch of beer on Tuesday night and I had a couple questions. I used an ingredients kit to brew some Amber Beer and after getting it into the fermenter and putting the airlock in place everything has been going well.

I used dry yeast and noticed bubbling in the airlock within 4-8 hours and it continued bubbling strong until today where it has now ceased entirely. The directions to my kit say once it stops bubbling I should begin the bottling process however from what I have been reading it should take longer than 2-3 days to ferment. I don't want to open the bucket more than necessary so should I go ahead and take a reading with the hydrometer or wait at least a week from the time fermenting started? Thanks in advance!

I would wait. I typically keep all my beers in primary for three to four weeks then bottle. It could be done fermenting but the yeast are still cleaning up in there. Taking a hydrometer sample now probably won't hurt anything if your sure to be sanitary. But personally I would wait at least two weeks.

Most people on here will say leave it in the bucket for 3 weeks. What I do and hasn't failed me yet, is 7-10 days primary bucket, then 7-10 days secondary glass carboy. then bottle with the appropriate amount of sugar. Sanitation being key in your bottling day.

Man, did this confuse me when I started! And it still does.

Basically what I figured in the end was that what instructions casually refer to as fermentation as in "when it's done fermenting in about two weeks" is both the fermentation (which happens pretty quickly) *and* the following "clearing up" period where the yeast falls out of suspension and settles way down which takes a while longer.

I'd let another week or two go by before I start taking final gravity readings. And as you've no doubt read, there's no harm in leaving it in the formenter longer.

Yea I bought a 32 oz bottle of Star san so as long as I use it I'm sure ill stay sanitary. So I just shouldn't worry about the airlock not bubbling and waiting is better than rushing it?

Latest posts

Back