Rogue Irish Lager Inspired Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewWorm

Reaction score
So I've become obsessed with Rogue's Irish Style Lager. It's a crisp lager with slight fruity notes (combo of hop citrus and yeast pear/apple), with a moderately hop forward character. Not sweet, not bitter but a well balanced, super drinkable beer.

I love Rogue because they tell you exactly what's in their beer. In this case it's Pale, Crytal 15, Wheat, Acidulated Malt, Sterling Hops, Czech Pils yeast, and water. 12 deg Plato, 28 IBU, 75% Apparent Attenuation, 9.8 deg L (I don't believe this as the beer is super light, looked closer to 5 SRM).

Now, I don't have my laggering setup complete yet, so for Ntl. Homebrew Day, I'll be doing an Ale inspired by this delightful lager.

Here's my plan: 15 gal batch
Pale Malt (2 Row) US 25 lbs
White Wheat 1.25 lbs
Acidulated Malt 0.75 lbs
Crystal 40 0.5 lbs
Carafoam 0.25 lbs

This should give me ~13 deg Plato @ 75% efficiency,
Mash at 151 degF for 60min

2.75oz Sterling (7.5% AA) @ 60 min - 23 IBU
1.5 oz Sterling (7.5% AA) @ 15min - 6 IBU
1.5 oz Sterling (7.5% AA) @ flameout

Wyeast 1007 German Ale @ 65deg.

I'm unsure about the amount of aroma hops. I want a detectable hop nose, but not overbearing....

Also, what category do you think this would go into, in terms of BJCP?

Anything look off about my recipe? (hand calc'd BTW)

Brewed this on Sunday. Almost everything went awesome, hit 151 degF for 60. pre-boil OG was 1.050 post boil was 1.054 so I got a little better than 75%. Counter-flow chiller got everything to 66deg as it hit the conical. Then, I notice a small seeping leak from the bulkhead fitting for my thermowell..... ARGH!! So I sanitized my arm and reached in to crank down the fitting. Didn't notice the seep when I water tested the fitting, either it showed up because of change in temp, or i didn't see it with the clear water. Need to find a sanitary welder who can seal up my stainless....

Probably ruined the beer, but it was the first time using the new rig and I had tons of fun. I'll RAHAHB and wait for a couple weeks to see what kind of funk I get. Next time....

Well gravity is down to 1.011 and no terrible sour tastes so that's good. Unfortunately, my temp control on the conical took a dumper so the temps have varied between 58 and 72 (the whole range of the yeast) and I've got some serious esters. Not bad, but not what I was going for.... kinda like a heffe without the prominent wheat malt....

Latest posts

Back