Pitched belgian yeast at 60 degrees = bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BansheeRider

Reaction score
Wyeast 3787 high gravity yeast. Optimum temps between 64-78 for fermentation. This is the first time I missed my target temperature. The yeast was in a starter probably around 68 degrees. I cooled my wort to 80 thinking after I top off with cool water it would be around 68-70, well nope....60 degrees. I felt I had to pitch because it could take forever to warm up. The fermenter now is in a room where it's 70 + degrees. DO you think it will take a while to get started even though the starter was active and it's a belgian yeast?

I've never used that particular yeast but my bet is that everything will be fine. It might take a little bit to get going but that should be no big deal. I recently pitched Belgian Ardennes at 60 because I took my eye off the thermometer for a bit while I was chilling the wort and all was fine.

I would say the only real danger is that another bacteria gets a foothold, before the beer yeast really gets going. But with proper sanitation, this shouldn't happen.

So, should be no problem.

I prefer to pitch low and let the fermentation temp ramp naturally, especially Belgians. You're fine man!

Thanks guys. The comment by billpausten about bacteria getting a foothold is the reason why I fear stalled or lagging fermentations. I do a pretty good job with sanitation and I've never had a batch get infected.

I prefer to pitch low and let the fermentation temp ramp naturally, especially Belgians. You're fine man!

+1 to this ^^^.

Pitching a bit on the cool side is much preferred to pitching too warm, especially since your yeast was only 8*F warmer than the wort. I wouldn't worry about this one at all.

You guys were right. I woke up this morning and its bubbling like crazy in less than 8 hours, temps are at 68 degrees now. I did my first yeast starter with this batch and its evident that starters really do decrease the lagging phase. I'm guessing it started fermenting in only a few hours.

Latest posts

Back