Running through co2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmurph6

Reaction score
I've been going through a 5# co2 canisters like crazy due to various leaks draining my co2 canister usually overnight. Now I went to my keg and noticed that over time my regulator has been reading high pressure so I dialed it back. After a couple more weeks I noticed my regulator reading 7# lower than I had set it. I tried to dial it back up to 12 but I was out of gas. I pulled the purge valve on my keg to see if it still had pressure and it did. My question is, does this sound like a leak? I've had my keg hooked up to gas for 6 weeks. I thought a leak typically drained the tank pretty quick. I think I've only served one other leg on this tank.

If you went through a 5# tank in less than two kegs, you have a leak. Soapy water or Starsan will help you find it.

Yes, you have a major leak somewhere.

Before you do anything, turn off the tank valve, remove the regulator coupler from the tank, and see if you have a gasket inside the coupler or not. Then check the condition of that gasket, because there are single-use versions as well as long-life reusable versions.

If you get through that part, reattach the regulator to the tank, turn the regulator fully counter-clockwise (to zero), then turn on the tank valve.

Mix up some dishwashing liquid and water about 50/50 and brush it over both ends of the regulator coupler (tank end and regulator end), and brush it over the stems for your regulator gauges. If no bubbles show, turn the regulator up to 30 psi, and brush the outlet of the regulator and any shut-off and/or check-valve fittings.

Then work your way down the gas line to the disconnect, and when you get there, dunk the disconnect in a bowl of water.

If you get there without finding a leak, lock the keg lid tight, put the disconnect on the keg, flip the whole thing upside down and dunk it in a bucket of water.

If you didn't find a leak by the time you get through this, your regulator must be leaking out of the body somewhere...

Cheers!

[edit] One item I forgot: some CO2 tank valves will leak around the stem packing unless you open them all the way to the stop. So while you have your soapy water mix, when you get to the "open the tank valve" step, brush the valve stem, too...

I can do those things however I have no co2 to leak check. Ill have to get it filled tomorrow and leak check ...again. I have thoroughly leak checked on multiple occasions. Usually I find the leak but its typically on the keg. This time the keg appears to hold pressure.

My gasket on my regulator coupling is plastic.

[...]My gasket on my regulator coupling is plastic.

I think those are single-use, so when you get your tank filled or swapped, pick up a few more gaskets.

And if you aren't using it already, get some Keg Lube, or a reasonable facsimile thereof (I think you can get silicone grease in most hardware stores) and use it on every o-ring on your kegs...

Cheers!

I think those are single-use, so when you get your tank filled or swapped, pick up a few more gaskets.

And if you aren't using it already, get some Keg Lube, or a reasonable facsimile thereof (I think you can get silicone grease in most hardware stores) and use it on every o-ring on your kegs...

Cheers!

+1. Keg lube is a lifesaver for these situations.

Is your tank in our out of the kegerator? I had a lot of issues until I moved mine out of the kegerator. I also started using gas tape on my regulator connection to the tank as I could not locate the leak anywhere. I have over 10 kegs (all well lubed...) and it didn't matter which ones were in, I blew through CO2 in less than a month. Nice thing about having it outside is I can shut it off easily every day, which I was doing until I was pretty confident that the tape or move had fixed the issue. My last tank lasted from July of last year until a few weeks ago (10 lb tank)...and it gets a daily workout!! :D

Yes, you have a major leak somewhere.

Before you do anything, turn off the tank valve, remove the regulator coupler from the tank, and see if you have a gasket inside the coupler or not. Then check the condition of that gasket, because there are single-use versions as well as long-life reusable versions.

If you get through that part, reattach the regulator to the tank, turn the regulator fully counter-clockwise (to zero), then turn on the tank valve.

Mix up some dishwashing liquid and water about 50/50 and brush it over both ends of the regulator coupler (tank end and regulator end), and brush it over the stems for your regulator gauges. If no bubbles show, turn the regulator up to 30 psi, and brush the outlet of the regulator and any shut-off and/or check-valve fittings.

Then work your way down the gas line to the disconnect, and when you get there, dunk the disconnect in a bowl of water.

If you get there without finding a leak, lock the keg lid tight, put the disconnect on the keg, flip the whole thing upside down and dunk it in a bucket of water.

If you didn't find a leak by the time you get through this, your regulator must be leaking out of the body somewhere...

Cheers!

[edit] One item I forgot: some CO2 tank valves will leak around the stem packing unless you open them all the way to the stop. So while you have your soapy water mix, when you get to the "open the tank valve" step, brush the valve stem, too...

This is some great advice here. Is there a sticky for this sort of info?...there should be.

Be sure to scrutinize EVERY connection. I'm not sure if you are using a splitter of any sort by my 5-way came with every fitting hand tight or maybe a little better. I sealed and torqued everything good before I ever put gas to it. I would have lost a few tanks for sure if I had assumed that was done.

Is this normal for this to rotate like it is?

[ame]http://youtu.be/3O7WVGrKHpo[/ame]

Is this normal for this to rotate like it is?

Neither should happen, but I couldn't tell if the coupler stem was rotating inside the coupler nut, or the other end was turning in the body threads. Either way, something needs to be tighter than it is...

Cheers!

My gasket does look like it needs replacing. I ripped on the coupling to tighten it down and managed to keep that assembly from rotating. I guess that's my problem. Where do I get a new gasket? Is it an easy thing to find like at an ace or HD?

At some point I will have messed up every way you can. I've had my pop off on my keg not seat a few times, leaked through gaskets on the keg and now the co2 coupling wasn't tight enough. Someone tell me I'm not alone with this!!! Oh well rdwhahb.

day_trippr said:
Neither should happen, but I couldn't tell if the coupler stem was rotating inside the coupler nut, or the other end was turning in the body threads. Either way, something needs to be tighter than it is...

Cheers!

It was the coupler stem rotating. All my other connections on the actual regulator body are rock solid.

If you read all the post requiems, it happens all the time around here - you're definitely not alone.

Gas suppliers carry those gaskets. Pick them up when you get your tank refilled or swapped...

Cheers!

If you read all the post requiems, it happens all the time around here - you're definitely not alone.

Gas suppliers carry those gaskets. Pick them up when you get your tank refilled or swapped...

Cheers!

Yes. The gaskets are cheap. I bought a half dozen last time and I seem to be out now. I usually throw on a new one every refill just for insurance.

Back