So if you are not using Corn what are you using?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
I have a few Beer Pigs and about 20 Corneilus Kegs but have been considering getting rid of the Corneys and getting "real" beer kegs.

I was wondering if some of you have moved on from Corneys and using 1/6s or something else.

ME? I am tired for fighting with them,,, though that may change if I can build a Keg Washer...

So if you have moved on... what are your opinions of your current system?

DPB

why? what's not to like about corney kegs?

I use sanke kegs as fermenters but much prefer corney kegs for serving beer. Sanke kegs are much harder to clean and sanitize unless you have a keg cleaning system. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty expensive pump to clean sanke kegs without removing the spear. Corney kegs are much easier to take apart and the big lid makes cleaning much easier.

why? what's not to like about corney kegs?

I use sanke kegs as fermenters but much prefer corney kegs for serving beer. Sanke kegs are much harder to clean and sanitize unless you have a keg cleaning system. I'm thinking you'd need a pretty expensive pump to clean sanke kegs without removing the spear. Corney kegs are much easier to take apart and the big lid makes cleaning much easier.

I have been kegging with corneys for 12 years and just wondered/researching to see if there is better way...

I don't know much about sankes, hell... I don't even know what a "spear" is...

Any way that I go I am pretty sure I am going to buy a few firkins to make some "Real Ale" IPA's to age for a year or so...

Happy Brewing

You can make "Real Ale" With a Corny. Just add priming sugar to the corny(about 2.5oz of dextrose is what I normally use), seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks. If you want to be true to form and not use any extra CO2 you might want to fashion or buy a beer engine, or elevate it and use some if the residual co2 to start a siphon and let gravity do it from there after off gassing the extra CO2 with the pressure release valve. Boom, no need for firkins. :)

You can make "Real Ale" With a Corny. Just add priming sugar to the corny(about 2.5oz of dextrose is what I normally use), seal it up and let it sit for a few weeks. If you want to be true to form and not use any extra CO2 you might want to fashion or buy a beer engine, or elevate it and use some if the residual co2 to start a siphon and let gravity do it from there after off gassing the extra CO2 with the pressure release valve. Boom, no need for firkins. :)

Yep... I knew that as I have been "priming" a lot of my kegs and my local Homebrew Club has a "Real Ale" party each year... this years had 11 kegs to try.

The reason I want the Firkin is to be ale to Celler Age a few beers for a year and I don't want to use my Corneys since they are needed for the beer I have in the pipeline...

Back