Dry hop mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hops2it

Reaction score
Just brewed up my first batch of the season and evidently I'm a little rusty because I threw in my dry hops on brew day. I've always done about 10 days for dry hopping and typically don't add it until 10 days left in a 3 week primary. So as things stand now, you think I should leave it in for 3 weeks or try to fish them out in 10 days or so? (Used hops bag weighted down with boiled marble). I use brewbuckets so I'm not sure how the heck to get it out of there without stirring everything up while trying to snag onto it with something. :smack:

Why not just buy more hops and add them later to dry hop? Maybe do half the recommended amount since your beer already has more than enough hops.

Just brewed up my first batch of the season and evidently I'm a little rusty because I threw in my dry hops on brew day. I've always done about 10 days for dry hopping and typically don't add it until 10 days left in a 3 week primary. So as things stand now, you think I should leave it in for 3 weeks or try to fish them out in 10 days or so? (Used hops bag weighted down with boiled marble). I use brewbuckets so I'm not sure how the heck to get it out of there without stirring everything up while trying to snag onto it with something. :smack:

If you added the dryhops to the primary, much of the hops aroma would blow out the airlock with the co2. You can leave them in there with no problem, and just add your new dryhops about a week before packaging.

You don't think leaving the existing ones in there for 3 weeks will have any adverse affects? I can certainly add some more later, no problem there.

I've never made that particular mistake, but I would be worried that the hops being in there that long could cause the beer to take on a vegetal taste. In spite of fermentation scrubbing out the aroma. I could be wrong, but if I did that I'd be making a hook out of a piece of copper wire (or something similar) to pull it out.

I've never made that particular mistake, but I would be worried that the hops being in there that long could cause the beer to take on a vegetal taste.

That was my exact fear and what prompted me to post.

@komocabo, thanks for letting me know. Makes me feel a little better. Anybody else leave in dry hops for 3 weeks with no problems?

I would not worry too much about the vegetal taste. I have dryhopped beers for 6wks+ after primary with no odd flavors.
Once because life got in the way and I forgot about the beer and the second time because the first one came out so good.

Back