Cheaper way to cork a few Belgian bottles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motorneuron

Reaction score
So I have a few Belgian bottles sitting around, and I was hoping I would be able to use some of them for the wit that is currently in the carboy. But I don't think this will be my primary method for bottling in the future, so I'm a bit reluctant to drop $65ish on a cheap floor corker. I suspect the answer is that there is no single answer, but I thought I'd ask anyway. So here are my questions:

(1) does anyone have experience with those double-armed corkers? Reviews online suggest they are anywhere from decent to awful. I wouldn't be doing this a lot, so it's not like I need the greatest equipment in the world. But I don't want to waste money on something that really won't work or that is very frustrating to use, either.

(2) Any alternatives to "real" corking? I had read about zorks somewhere, but I can't tell if the ones that I would buy online would fit Belgian bottles, or if they are appropriate for carbonated beverages (such as, ahem, beer). Do plastic champagne corks work well? From what I can tell, these bottles--which came from a variety of 750 mL bottles, including some actually from Belgium/France and some from the US--are not even of a uniform size/shape. Some will clearly not fit 29mm caps.

Thanks in advance.

Back