Using a secondary before kegging?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quantrellc

Reaction score
I have transferred to a secondary a few times to free up primary space and get a decent amount of yeast that falls out while it it's in the secondary so my question, is there something that happens do to the transfer that causes more sediment to fall out or am I just noticing it because it's in a new clean carboy and the same amount is coming out in the primary if left in there for the same period of time. I have done a few brews just using the primary also and they were nice clear beers after bottle conditioning the reason I'm asking is I just started kegging and am wondering if going to a secondary before the keg will help keep more sediment out of the keg. Thanks

Yes, it will, but I find the secondary to be necessary only with high gravity beers or things I want to condition for a while. One of the benefits of the keg (especially if you use the "set and forget" method to carb is that a lot of the sediment gets pushed to the bottom of the keg and it will come out in the first pour. After that, you get (pretty) clean beer. I find this to be preferential to cleaning multiple fermenting vessels.

I don't secondary before kegging. I get very clear beer without it.

Rather, I use Whirlfloc, use hop sacks, cool quickly with an IC, whirlpool and let things settle 15 minutes before draining wort into the bucket, leave the gunk in the bottom of the kettle (below the valve coupling), and cold crash 3-5 days before racking from primary to keg. If it's a beer that I want to get really clear, I add gel finings before purging the keg with CO2.

If you don't want much yeast in your keg, then go ahead and use a secondary. Otherwise, you really only do get a couple pints of yeasty beer before it will pour clear - just be careful handling the keg so you don't stir up the yeast. I typically have my ales in the keg within 10 days of brewing, and 2-3 weeks for lagers.

BigFloyd I'm doing everything you described in my process I had just racked to a secondary a time or two to free up a primary and noticed more yeast falling out but it sounds like I wouldn't mess with the secondary anymore as it isn't enough to worry about thanks for the replies. But just for the sake of conversation does anyone know if physically transferring cause more yeast to fall out or is it just noticed because it's in a new carboy. Again thanks guys

Back