Hot break , still floating on top. need help quick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I am brewing my first AG and its a barleywine. I have been boiling down for about 3 hours now. I still have a large film of proteins floating on top. Im almost down to the level where I need to start adding my hops. I have a good boil going but its not extreme. Can you hit your hot break and still have film of floating protein on top???? Should I do something? Im worried. , But thinking it may be due to the amount of sugars in the pot from a barleywine recipe.

I usually scoop the break off the top as it hits hot break, you should be well past that by now. I don't think it hurts anything either way.

I scooped the protein off around 4 or 5 times , it would reform every 30 mins. After my first hop addition it all broke up and acted normal. Man was I sweatin it. $70 for a 5g batch yep , worry worry. But my target OG was 1.116 and I hit 1.114 so I am very happy for my first barley wine AND my first AG. Jumped in the deep end right off the bat , only way to roll :rockin:

Back