Lagering and Temperature Consistency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reuliss

Reaction score
With the summer months coming, I'd really like to try my hand at a Pils. I've never fermented a lager, but I have a chest freezer that I can use to maintain a consistent fermentation and lagering temperature. My concern, though, is that I'd like to continue brewing other beers while the lager is, well, lagering.

So my question is this. Once the fermentation is complete and I drop the temp for lagering, would it hurt the beer if for, say, one week's time maybe twice during the lager period, the lager was forced to share the chest freezer at ale temps, after which point I'd drop the freezer's back down to the happy lagering temp? My guess is that consistent lagering temps is best, but I don't want to stop brewing for two months!! :cross:

I've actually done this a few times with good success but even in the summer my basement only gets to a max of 68F.

I've been forced to do this a couple of times also, did not seem to have a negative impact, even on a light beer like a Helles.

I would add to the overall lagering time, so the time at the lower temps is still >1 week per 0.1 of OG, it won't harm the beer at all.

With the summer months coming, I'd really like to try my hand at a Pils. I've never fermented a lager, but I have a chest freezer that I can use to maintain a consistent fermentation and lagering temperature. My concern, though, is that I'd like to continue brewing other beers while the lager is, well, lagering.

So my question is this. Once the fermentation is complete and I drop the temp for lagering, would it hurt the beer if for, say, one week's time maybe twice during the lager period, the lager was forced to share the chest freezer at ale temps, after which point I'd drop the freezer's back down to the happy lagering temp? My guess is that consistent lagering temps is best, but I don't want to stop brewing for two months!! :cross:

I use a FermWrap on a controller to do my ales side-by-side with lagers, it works great but will run about $65-75 for initial setup.

Latest posts

Back