Wow, just wow!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ridire

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Wife is a Miller Lite girl. She gags at the smell of me opening an IPA.

Last week, she went to Dragonmead with me and said she liked a few of the beers we had in our flights. I just pulled out one of my first brews, a porter, and she tasted it and asked for one. After sitting in bottles for 8 weeks, this beer is flat out good. I wrote it off as mediocre several weeks ago.

I find that darker beers need some aging to come into their own. I made a winter ale that was harsh at 3 months, OK at 6 months good at a year and still getting better.

kh54s10 said:
I find that darker beers need some aging to come into their own. I made a winter ale that was harsh at 3 months, OK at 6 months good at a year and still getting better.

I've only got 6 more of these and I'm pissed I drank so many when they were green.

Is it even possible my IPA could do the same thing? I think it's oxidized, though.

IPA's are typically better enjoyed young before the hop aroma begins to fade. Nice job on the porter though, its always nice to get you're ladies approval.

BryceL said:
IPA's are typically better enjoyed young before the hop aroma begins to fade. Nice job on the porter though, its always nice to get you're ladies approval.

Yeah, I learned a lot about hops after I brewed that IPA. I'm going to try it again soon.

And I think it is oxidized...time won't make that better.

Back