Small Batches and Hop Bursting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crusader1612

Reaction score
Hi All, I'm working on a couple of test batches, using the hop bursting technique, and extract with grains, for ease of brewing such small amounts. (1 gallon brews)

I am under the impression that, brewing small batches, doesn't change the boil time, of generally 60 mins, but if I do hop bursting, can I just do a 20 mins one? add the hops at 20 and continue, just a thought.

I've got one or two other test batches that use a 60 min addition. so i'll be doing that with them anyways, just a time saver, the youtube video I found suggests the same thing, that you can boil for the allotted 15 mins if you haver only late additions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers and beers.

Hi All, I'm working on a couple of test batches, using the hop bursting technique, and extract with grains, for ease of brewing such small amounts. (1 gallon brews)

I am under the impression that, brewing small batches, doesn't change the boil time, of generally 60 mins, but if I do hop bursting, can I just do a 20 mins one? add the hops at 20 and continue, just a thought.

I've got one or two other test batches that use a 60 min addition. so i'll be doing that with them anyways, just a time saver, the youtube video I found suggests the same thing, that you can boil for the allotted 15 mins if you haver only late additions.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
Cheers and beers.

You can, just make sure to add enough hops to hit your ibu projection. I personally add a 1/2 oz fwh or at 60 then the rest from 20. This saves me 2 or 3 oz total, but not exactly the same thing.

I'm looking at the hop bursting technique. Not feh or buttering just hops from 20-30 mins to flameout. I might just work out my boil off for the small batches and sit with it. Tha is thiugh

If you are using extract you can do a very short boil. 20 mins is plenty.

If you were doing all grain you need 60 mins or more.

I've done a 20 minute boil with the second runnings from an all-grain IIPA. I did this and got ~2gal of small beer (~4% abv). I added .5 oz centennial at 20 min then again at 5min then at flameout, turned out very tasty. I was a little worries that I hadn't boiled enough to boil off dms, but I didn't get any buttery or oily character in the beer, but it did taste quite grainy.

Back