Shocktop/Blue moon clone without wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husher

Reaction score
I really liked shocktop when I tried it and would like to make something like it at home. Thing is I'm quite limited with regards to the materials I can use from local supplier. I really only have pale LME, Dark LME, and 6 varieties of steeping grains (which don't include crystal - grrrr)

http://brewkettle.mybigcommerce.com/categories/Beer-Brewing-Ingredients/?sort=featured&page=2

Anyways. I'm wondering if I can get the FLAVOR of a wheat beer by steeping Wheat grain and using pale LME as the real fermentable. The primary flavour I'm going for is the orange actually so I'm assuming if I'm not entirely successful it's no big deal to have an orange blonde or pale ale or whatever.

This will be my second attempt at an extract brew, with my first dozen brews being beer kits. The plan is to do something along the lines of a blonde recipe but instead of steeping a pound of crystal, I'd steep a pound of wheat grain. Use Hallertau as the bittering hop, and of course dose with orange zest and coriander and whatnot at the end of the boil.

Should I bother with this approach? Will I actually get a good fake wheat beer? Something good, something bad? Thanks

Oh and I should add that one of the recipes I read for blue moon called for a kilo (3 Lbs?) of Honey, so that too.

How big is your kettle? You could try your hand at a mini mash in your pot with all wheat and then add your extract for the boil!

I'm working with limited supplies and budget. My pot can handle 2.5 gallons safely. I don't really understand mini mash, but I'm assuming I'd need to boil more than 3-4 gallons and several Lbs of grain to get what I need.

Find some threads about mini mashing. Most I believe (don't take me on this) but they are bringing 1.5-2 gallons up to strike temp which is about 5-10° over the mash temp/steeping temp and only using 4-5 lb of grain. That would fit in a 20 qt stock pot with no problem.. then pull the grain bag out and add your malt extract and more water to bring you up to your boil volume your comfortable with..

I think it's actually 16 quarts. Hmm. Ok, warrants some investigation...But what about my original question. If I don't do a mini mash, would my first plan have worked?

I think it's actually 16 quarts. Hmm. Ok, warrants some investigation...But what about my original question. If I don't do a mini mash, would my first plan have worked?

You won't get much for flavour (wheat has a subtle sweetness and a some twang) but you'll get great head retention from it! Wheat is just one of those grains that should be mashed! Sucks that they don't have wheat malt extract for ya!

What if I just do a simple blonde ale with orange zest, would that work out ok?

Back