Food safety of polyester/nylon mesh? (Bittering hops bag, BIAB, and dry hopping)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ikyn

Reaction score
Is there any kind of literature that points to the safety of nylon or polyester used in:
  • Bittering/Finishing hops during the boil
  • Mashing (BIAB use)
  • Dry-hopping (extended temperature control use)

I'm having a hard time finding public domain literature on the food safety use of these materials at the desired temperatures. Anyone happen to have the information handy?

Hi

I am also interested in this question.
I think Basic Brewing may have covered this in one of the episodes with a formerly unnamed person... sleepy now can't recall title nor nick-name.
I'll edit this when I recall something.

Bottom line was, I think, nothing to worry about.

We need more information.

Unfortunately there is little scientifically factual information available on safety topics.

Some information from my research is posted on this this thread below (starting with post #12 from GeneticBrew "One benefit to 3 big stainless kettles is food grade material"). Also on this thread the links to the toxicologist interviewed on Basic Brewing podcasts:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=458429&page=2

Many brewers’ personal efforts reflect a commitment to integrity of the brewing process; that is both safe and produces a beer of purity and tastiness.

Historically, the German purity laws were an early benchmark towards a mindset of making the ingredients safe and a commitment to integrity of process.

The home brewer should have access to appropriate information. With this, the home-brewer can make an informed decision as to the level of safety and integrity of process to incorporate into their own beer.

It is unfortunate that such information is not more widely available.

Back