Boil Kettle false bottom

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kerklein2

Reaction score
I'm going to be migrating my vessels slowly over to bottom drain keggles soon and was wondering about the benefits of a false bottom in the boil kettle. What effectiveness would it have filtering out hops? Any other reason to have one?

Do you use a plate chiller? Something that can get clogged with either pellets or leaf hops? If not let it flow into the ferm.

I do not currently, but I am considering it. Additionally, I like to keep hops out of the fermenter regardless, as do most brewers.

Talk to marcb regarding his Pliny recipe. After seeing clean wort flow into the ferm and a solid layer of pellet hop sludge on the false bottom, I'm a believer. I've since ordered one for my boil kettle...

Do you know which false bottom he used? Wondering what the hole diameter is.

Ouse a jaybird 12" false bottom without a hole. Idea in my kettle from the bottom near the edge of the keggle. This allows me to whirlpool and then pull from the side of the hop cone. Works out well.

Stupid autocorrect!:)
I have a jaybird false bottom. I bottom drain from near the edge of. The bottom.

Ouse a jaybird 12" false bottom without a hole. Idea in my kettle from the bottom near the edge of the keggle. This allows me to whirlpool and then pull from the side of the hop cone. Works out well.

You can see the end result after a raging ***** clone.

image-2508080580.jpg

So it sounds like the answer is yes, a false bottom will filter pellet hops. I'm guessing a reasonable amount still gets through? Would a plate chiller clog, or do you think the false bottom is adequate?

Some will get through. I have had good success with this method, but it takes patience letting the whirlpool settle. You still have to back flush the plate chiller or it would be pretty clogged after a couple of brew sessions.

I've got no problem backflushing the plate chiller. Just don't want it to clog while chilling.

Could always use a hop spider. This is what I use with my plate chiller.. Plus it was only $8 to put together.

Back