Williams brewing kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bleedsblue

Reaction score
So this summer I was at a conference in Reno. We are from Illinois. My Wife joined me and we spent the weekend driving Lake Tahoe. While there I always have to try the beer that I can't get at home. My wife tried a 21st amendment hell or highwatermelon ale She loved it. So as my 2nd try at this hobby I wanted to try that, but quite frankly I am not confident enough to set out on my own with out a kit.

So I found Williams brewing Watermelon wheat. Anyone familiar with Williams, and anyone have tips going into brewing in the next couple of weeks.

Thanks again guys.

I did there apricot ale for my wedding. it was a smash hit with everyone. the apricot flavoring came from a bottle of extract introduced durring bottling. it was a hit, but I dont know about there watermelon wheat. they have a good rep. they have alot of equipment you cant find anywhere else. I would confidently order from them.hope that helps some. good luck.

Williams has been around since the early days of homebrewing, they were my first supplier when I lived in California. I still order stuff from them even though I'm halfway across the country now. Good people, great quality and service.

Yep, I don't have experience with their actual kits but I buy stuff from Williams all the time. One thing though, it looks like the kit uses watermelon extract. To avoid the possible jolly rancher effect I would suggest using fresh juice. 21st Amendment is local to me, and I have been brewing a watermelon wheat every summer for yrs since first tasting theirs on tap long before they used to sell it in cans. I get nice watermelon flavor with the fresh juice only. If you don't want to go with a kit I can get you the recipe when I get home if you're interested. I've brewed it as extract, partial mash and all grain.

Here's the extract version, very simple. One note, these calcs are for a full boil so for partial boil you may need to plug into software to get the IBU's right and I'd also do late addition in that case. If you go with Perle check the AA%'s, I've noticed they seem to vary pretty widely. I would keep the 1 oz at 5 min and adjust the bittering addition to hit around 25 IBU total for the brew.

I've experimented with 4-6 c juice per 5 gallon and have settled on the 5 cups. I transfer to secondary for this, a blow off tube is wise. The 1010 is always a good performer for me, I ferment at 67-68 and the beer's usually in the keg by 3 wks (2wk primary, 1 week on the juice). Don't fear the sulphur if you get it, it will be gone by packaging time. You could also go with one of the Chico strains.

For partial mash and all grain I just do 50/50 white wheat malt and 2-row, mash 152.

Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.050 SG
Estimated IBU: 25.4 IBUs
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

6 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
0.50 oz Perle [9.40 %] - Boil 60.0 min 18.2 IBUs
1.00 oz Perle [9.40 %] - Boil 5.0 min 7.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Wheat Ale (Wyeast Labs #1010)
5.00 Cup Watemelon Juice (Secondary 7.0 days)

:mug:

Back