Target FG in a week?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doeboy666

Reaction score
Brewed a late boil session ipa/APA with OG of 1.048 and has reached 1.014 within 5 days and looking for 1.010, but imagine that will be soon. Should I rack to carboy for dry hop before 2 weeks in primary?

Give it another week before you dry hop. Let the yeast really finish things and begin to settle to the bottom. Also no need for secondary. Just dryhop in the primary. Less chance of infection or introducing O2.

Waiting out the two weeks is good. If a proper amount of healthy yeast was pitched and temps were reasonable, then you are probably fine to transfer at about 10 days if this is a normal ale. FG and a taste for off flavors would let you know in this case.
The counterpoint to avoiding secondary is that some fermentations leave messy trub making it trickier to siphon clear beer to bottling bucket. Dry hop adds to that mess. Not that one way is better than the other, but it has been easier for me to bottle beer when using secondary/clearing vessel. Just remember that the same sanitary conditions/procedures are needed as are used in brewing/bottling - it takes more work. That said, I have had a couple of brews that were perfectly fine to move from primary to the bottling bucket.

Right on, my bottling bucket is my primary fermenting vessel so I intend on racking to the carboy for another 7 days and dry hopping for the last 5 days. I want to clean the bucket and have it available for easy bottling.

I'd even dryhop for the full 7. I think most dryhop for 7 to 10 days. I do anyway....

Just worried about potential grassy/vegetable flavor from dry hop. I've already used a considerable amount of hops late in the boil with my recipe, 8oz spread out at 30 min, 20 min, 15 min, 5 min and at flame out so it's considerably aromatic and flavorful, but just want an extra cascade dry hop bump. I work at the Portsmouth Brewery and the brewers have said not to worry about dry hopping too long as some of the beers at the brewery are dry hopped in the serving vessels.

Yeah I have dry hopped 14 days several times and even went 21 days by mistake and could not detect any grassiness/vegetal flavors.

Gotcha, goes back to the best thing about this hobby, to each their own! :mug:

My suggestion was also more in interest of not having to disturb the fermenter one extra time.

True, definitely don't wanna disturb the fermentor too much. Might just do the 7 days, or wait and extra 2 or 3 days in the primary and dry hop 5 days in carboy, then bottle naturally.

Latest posts

Back