bottle conditioning?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JuiceyJay

Reaction score
Ok, so I followed the stove top pasturizing process today and I'm putting one case in the fridge and one case in the closet to condition/age until I finish off the first case.
With following that sticky 190° +/-a few for ten minutes, there is no way that the fermentatiom will pick back up again? I just don't want any explosions in my closet any time soon.

Ok, so I followed the stove top pasturizing process today and I'm putting one case in the fridge and one case in the closet to condition/age until I finish off the first case.
With following that sticky 190° +/-a few for ten minutes, there is no way that the fermentatiom will pick back up again? I just don't want any explosions in my closet any time soon.

If you don't see bubbles in the neck of the bottle, it has stopped fermenting.

It is possible that you won't see any bubbles and it's still slowly fermenting away. On the other hand, just because you see visual bubbles doesn't mean it's fermenting either. It could just be CO2 coming out of solution. This especially happens after you take a gravity reading, jostle the fermenting vessel or the vessel warms up. It could be at .999 and just be throwing off bubbles trapped in the lees below.

Personally, I wouldn't use bubble activity as an accurate gauge of fermentation.

In theory, if you heat the cider to a specific temp for a specific time, it will kill any and all yeast cells. So you should be fine storing them. A lot of people have used this method with success. I've never tried stove top pasteurizing myself because of the exact concern that you have. That and I like my ciders dry.

I batch pasteurize at 140* for 10 minutes all the time without incident. You're fine, the yeast are dead. :)

I batch pasteurize at 140* for 10 minutes all the time without incident. You're fine, the yeast are dead. :)

that puts me at ease a bit.
Generally how long do you bottle condition before drinking?
I have 25 I'll be drinking now and 25 to sit in the closet for a few weeks.

that puts me at ease a bit.
Generally how long do you bottle condition before drinking?
I have 25 I'll be drinking now and 25 to sit in the closet for a few weeks.

With backsweetened cider they don't really need any bottle conditioning in my experience. I just cool them down and drink them.

Back