How much hops to add.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C-Rider

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok, lets say I'm building my own recipe using only guide lines from say BeerSmith. The software will figure how much hop to add according to style, BUT: How to I figure out the aroma and flavor amounts other than trial and error? I guess I could look at existing recipes and copy amounts but I don't know the aroma and flavor by looking at a recipe that someone Else came up with.

Ok, lets say I'm building my own recipe using only guide lines from say BeerSmith. The software will figure how much hop to add according to style, BUT: How to I figure out the aroma and flavor amounts other than trial and error? I guess I could look at existing recipes and copy amounts but I don't know the aroma and flavor by looking at a recipe that someone Else came up with.

That's a great question!

I guess a good place to start is with the BJCP guidelines or a book like Designing Great Beers, or Brewing Classic Styles, so you get an idea of how much hops flavor and aroma should be in a style that you're making. You're not married to that opinion of course, but if you're making a doppelbock it might be nice to know that there is no hops flavor or aroma noted in that style normally.

You can still add flavor hops to a malty beer, of course! But if you know the basic style you're making you can tweak the recipe from what is expected to what you want.

Back