Rahr White wheat modification/mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rohlk

Reaction score
I'm making a sort of roggenweizen(recipe from brewing classic styles) and want to know if I need a protein rest with Rahr's white wheat. I'm using 25% of the fermentables from white wheat, 25% rye, 50 % 2 row. Wondering what my mash schedule should be. Thinking a beta rest with a protein rest and a sach rest. I didn't get a malt sheet with my rye or my white wheat and was wondering what I need to do for a mash with the wheat.

Do I skip the protein and just do a beta and sach, or do I mash a beta, protein, and sach?

I did this recipe a couple months ago and am going to do it again today, except I'm not using rye. I have 6# 2 row, 5# red wheat malt, 1# wheat flakes. Last time I did a protein rest (121 degrees for 30 minutes), but I thought the beer came out a little thin. Today I'm going to do a gum rest (targeting 104 degrees, plan to let it sit for 20-30 minutes) and see how the beer compares.

With my grain bill, it should take about 10 qts of 115 degree water to get to gum rest, and then 7 qts of boiling water to bring it up to 149 degrees for saccharification. I'll then double batch sparge with a 16 or so more quarts (leaning towards more rather than less).

Hope this helps!

I used rahr white wheat for a 100% wheat and a 50/50 with barley. Second time I did a protein rest at 122, first time I didn't. I got about the same efficiency and didn't see and cloudiness difference. My eff was about 10 percent lower than normal though on my biab setup

Back