Gelatin or...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Saprobic

Reaction score
So up to now the only clearing method I have been using is patience. Unfortunately my most recent brew is out waiting me in the cloudy department. 2 weeks primary and almost 2 weeks now in secondary and it is cloudy as all get out. I am thinking Gelatin but wanted to see if I was missing any alternatives.
Thanks in advance.

i think there is a Gelatin post "How-To" on here somewhere. I've done it before and has worked pretty well.
be sure to cold crash it with the gelatin to maximize its results.

i've recently purchased a Super-Kleer package ( 2 or so bucks ) at the HBS, haven't tried yet, but i can't wait to split a batch and test it out. but thats another alternative.

Isinglass works well. If you buy the traditional form it takes a bit of work to get it ready to pitch, but most HBSs carry the ready to use variety. I've used it on various beers with differing results.

If you can cold crash, that will help you immensely, and it won't have any impact on bottle conditioning, if that's what you do. I have a friend who cannot cold crash and uses gelatin-- it works surprisingly well! Secondary isn't really going to help clear your beer any more than leaving it in primary longer. My typical process: 10 day primary, 2-4 day cold crash, rack to keg, place in keezer on gas for 5+ days, start drinking... it's usually pretty clear by this point.

Another option is to use a more flocculant yeast- S-04 fermented cool (64˚) will clear right up for you.

Cheers!

Awesome thanks for the quick response folks. I can't cold crash until after its kegged is that going to cause me any grief. Seems some people are putting it right in the keg but I have read others saying it leaves a thick difficult to clean mess at the bottom. Although at this point that may be preferable to the cloud. :)

Will definitely look into Isinglass and Super-Kleer.

Back