hydrometer - when and how often?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
  • pre-boil. use it to figure your mash efficiency
  • post boil. use it to figure your OG, Original Gravity
  • end of fermentation. use it to 1) figure your FG, Final Gravity, if fermentation is complete & 2) determine if fermentation is complete by taking readings over several days looking for lack of change in gravity

You'll see newbies checking their gravity every day or two... no need for that. If you're not worried about efficiency, just get your OG when you pitch the yeast, and your FG two or three weeks later.

I use my hydrometer 3 times for most beers:
  • Before pitching to get OG
  • Around day 20, a few days before I plan to keg/bottle
  • The morning of the day I plan to keg/bottle

When I first started out, I checked gravity every day before realizing I was wasting a lot of beer. It was educational to see how long it takes to get to certain levels of attenuation, but there really wasn't anything I could do with that data.

Some people preach the rule of measuring gravity 3 days in a row to make sure there is no change before bottling. I just measure it twice with at least a day in between. I don't see any real purpose for that middle reading: if it's 1.007 on day 20 and 1.007 on day 22, there really was no reason to sacrifice an extra couple of ounces on day 21.

Yeah,after the OG sample,I just let it ride 2-3 weeks. Then take a reading,wait 2 days,& take another to see if they match. If they do,then I give it another 3-7 days to clean up & settle out clear or slightly misty.

dont all the readings while its fermenting open the beer to accidental contamination? also, when you take the OG sample, is that after the cooling, but right before pitching to the fermenting bucket?

thanks!

dont all the readings while its fermenting open the beer to accidental contamination? also, when you take the OG sample, is that after the cooling, but right before pitching to the fermenting bucket?

thanks!

yes (kind of) & yes.

kind of, because once the good magical little critters have gotten a good start, risk of contamination is slightly lowered. once alcohol % has reached a certain point, it also lowers the risk a little.

neither eliminates the risk, but keep up good sanitation and you shouldn't have to worry too much

......, when you take the OG sample, is that after the cooling, but right before pitching to the fermenting bucket?

thanks!

Cool, put it in your fermenting bucket and add your top off water if any. stir real good to get it mixed well and take your reading. Aerate, pitch, close it up, install airlock/blowoff tube and forget it for a few weeks. The yeast know what to do until FG and bottling time.

You'd know what range the instructions give for the OG,but not an exact number. I prefer to be exact,since it only takes a little bit of time to do. And sanitize everything & the sample can be dumped back in safely. I do it all the time.:mug:

Back