Quinoa in the boil?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max42

Reaction score
A local brew pub makes a GF beer using sorghum, quinoa, and honey (and no hops). This is a really good beer, light color, slightly sweet. I talked to the brewer and he told be he adds the quinoa to the boil, along with sorghum, honey is at flameout. Anyway, was curious if anyone has tried brewing with quinoa as part of the boil? He just whirlpools at the end of the boil to collect it and any other trub in the center of the kettle prior to transfer. The quinoa is not malted or sprouted.

No that sounds pretty different. I recently had a very good Barrel Aged Barleywine that had red quinoa in it but that brew used it in a cereal mash not in the boil. His finished beer had a slightly sweet nutty flavor that seemed to be from the quinoa. It was tasty but not one of my more favorite flavor profiles. His beer was not GF though he just added the quinoa in addition to other grains.

I do that with my buckwheat. I have found it helps to get rid of the 'Nutty' taste to it. Could also be because I am malting and roasting it as crystal buckwheat, but I have found doing both of those adds a nice chocolate effect to it. Not sure why. It's not like I burn the grains either. But, one way or another, it tastes nice. :) Give it a go. There is no harm in trying at all. At least then you will know, one way or another.

That is weird. Why not add hops? That's pretty much malt liquor. I could see adding other grains to the boil. Not quinoa. It has a very bland taste and I don't think would impart much to the beer. It might help caramelize the wort by creating "mini hot spots". I would be interested if some did this recipe.

When I asked about the hops I was told that one employee was allergic to hops but could only drink GF. It works though, the beer is really good.

Sure, Ruddy Duck Brewery & Grill Solomons MD, beer is called Biere Nouveau

Cool. Thanks. Now google! Ha. Nice site. Tuesday is ladies night. Wow, they claim the beer gives no hangover. Also they say it has no grains in it.

I'm gonna have to give this a try next time I head to washington or ocean city.

The brewer is working on a GF IPA. He has a dedicated tap for it.

I question whether it is GF. Quinoa isn't GF naturally. They would have to be ordering a special type that has been modified to remove the gluten.

Quinoa contains a protein that is related to the gluten protein. There really isn't any solid evidence to conclude that quinoa can trigger a reaction. If you have a cite, I would love to see it.

Would really suck if I couldn't have quinoa.

Aside from my experience getting sick off of it, and my kid's, nothing. But as a celiac I know the feeling I get from it. Oats though don't cause me a problem, even regular ones, but unless their gluten free they affect my kid.

Back