Groelsch Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bonnerhaus

Reaction score
Hi all, first time brewer and my batch of oatmeal stout is in the secondary and will soon be bottling. I obtained 70 groelsch bottles and I'm wondering if these work fine for bottling (as long as the gasket is in good condition). I read somewhere that some people had trouble with lack of carbonation. Ant comments/suggestions are appreciated!

I dont use actual Grolsch brand but they are perfect. I purchased swing top style bottles (same as those) and I love them. Any seals that wear out are a simple .10 fix. Never had probs with carbing. Although those being green glass be careful about storing them and make sure they are out of any light to avoid skunking!

I'm pretty sure I have bad news for ya. Though I don't know the full scope of the reason why, here is a quote.

HowToBrew.com

Many homebrewers get their bottles used from restaurants and bars, or buy them new from homebrew shops. Every once in a while you will hear about a guy whose dad or uncle has given him a couple cases of empty swing-top Grolsch™ bottles. He may ask you if he can use them for brewing or something... If this happens, just look him straight in the eye and tell him, "No, those can be quite dangerous, let me dispose of them for you." Be sure to keep a straight face and do your best to sound grim. If you don't think you are up to it, give me a call and I will take care of it. Swing top bottles are great; grab any you can. New rubber gaskets for the stoppers can be purchased at most homebrew shops.

They are great! I use them and they are easy to use. Just check the gaskets, and buy new ones if you need them. I read a tip once that said you can turn the gaskets over if they aren't sealing well, but they are cheap and easy to replace. I pull off the gaskets, stick them in some sanitizer and then dip the tops into the sanitizer when I sanitize the bottles.

The only caution is just like all bottles that are green- keep them in a dark place because green bottles allow more light to penetrate than brown bottles and the beer can skunk.

As said they work great. It is the EZ cap brand that HB stores sale that aren't all that great and can be hit or miss, the commercial ones work great

Thanks for all the help ya'll! Glad I was able to find them. I got the idea to call a local Weinkeller German/Swiss restaurant thinking they might have a few bottles I could have, turned out the manager had more than I could use and told me she'd sell them for $5 a case!

Bonnerhaus said:
Thanks for all the help ya'll! Glad I was able to find them. I got the idea to call a local Weinkeller German/Swiss restaurant thinking they might have a few bottles I could have, turned out the manager had more than I could use and told me she'd sell them for $5 a case!

I am sure there are many people on this forum willing to buy at $5 per case. These are all I use and much easier than capping regular bottles.

that is a great deal... you could probably resell them for a profit.

also, another poster mentioned the ez cap brand being hit or miss. I can confirm this. I bought a few cases, and the beers carbed up fine, but after a month or 2, they went flat. I'm replacing all the gaskets, and trying to drink my beer faster now. although I had gotten some a couple years ago that did not have that problem, so I'm thinking it is only some batches of them that aren't too good.

Latest posts

Back