How much sleep do you get?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m_c_zero

Reaction score
On average I get about 9 hours of sleep a night. Lately, I have been waking up more tired than when I went to bed, so I'm figuring I'm getting too much sleep. Guess it wouldn't be so bad if I worked a labor intensive job, but I work a desk job. Anyway, just curious how much sleep everyone else gets.

Holy bat crap man that is a ton of sleep. I go to bed around 10 or 11 and get up around 3 or 4. But I can catch a nap for a half hour during the day so it is not so bad.

About six hours give or take an hour.

6-7 hours, but I NEED more. A solid 8 hours helps me function correctly. I've always been a great sleeper, but once I became a parent the quality of my sleep diminished. I attribute this to being "on alert" for my son's noises.

Honestly, the reason I get so much sleep is that I've got nothing to stay up for at night and nothing to get up early for in the morning. Plus I love sleeping, I'm pretty good at it. I definitely feel that I'm getting too much though and need to change my routine. I think now that it's starting to warm up, I'll wake up early and try to walk my dog or something.

Depends on homework and work loads. In the last week,
1, 2.25hr
1, 4hr
1, 5hr
2, 6hr
1, 8hr
1, 9hr (finally caught up on sleep last night.)

Pretty typical. I don't have a sleep schedule. I'm all jacked up.

Between 7 and 7.5 for me. To bed at 10, up at 5 or 5:30 depening on the day.

I've tried 5.5 and 6 and feel myself getting sleepy during meetings. As long as I get 7 or more, I am alert. Would love to get 8 or 8.5, but who has the time with a full time job and kids. Whats ironic is when you finally do have the time (retirement), your body can't stay asleep for more than 6 anyway.

once the kids are in bed - teenagers at 9:30, the 4 year old at 9:00, and the 2 year old at somewhere around 10:45, my wife and I try to spend a little time alone...never enough. go to bed at around 11 or 12. wake up between 7:00 and 8:00

when I was a teenager/single without kids I slept much longer. now I feel lucky when I get to sleep 8 hours.

runningweird said:
once the kids are in bed - teenagers at 9:30, the 4 year old at 9:00, and the 2 year old at somewhere around 10:45, my wife and I try to spend a little time alone...never enough. go to bed at around 11 or 12. wake up between 7:00 and 8:00

Wow. Your two year old goes to bed that late?
I guess I'm lucky. Our two year old goes to bed at 8:30 and doesn't make a sound till 7:30-8:00AM.
My wife and I usually go to bed at 10-10:30. Sometimes I stay up later than that if I don't have to work the next day. I think my nightly average for sleep is around 6 hours.

About 3 to 4 hours a night currently because I blew out a rotator cuff *again* at the gym, and it's mostly painful in a recumbent position ... which coincidentally is the position I sleep in.
Growing old is hell.

ever think of getting a sleeptest? I used to be tired and wake up in the morning feeling hungover (with no drinking). Turns out I have a terrible apnea problem. Something to think about.

In bed by 11pm or midnight during the week, up by 4:30am Monday - Thursday... So that's 4.5 to 5.5 during the week.

Telecommute Friday, so I sleep until 6am... So 6.5 to 7.5 hours there.

My daughter is incapable of sleeping later than 6:30am. Sometimes she'll let me snooze until 7am... So maybe 8 hours on the weekends.

I second the sleep apnea suggestion - a big indicators is frequently waking up more tired than when you went to sleep.

About five and a half hours during the week. I usually try to get eight or so on the weekends, if possible.

Instead of just changing your sleep routine, I would recommend regular exercise. I'm not a doctor, but it worked for me. 3-5 days a week for 20-60 minutes or so ,doesn't have to be super intense as long as you get your heart rate up and sweat a little. It really helped even out my energy. Plus I don't think regular exercise is ever a bad recommendation :p But if you're already doing that, there may be other issues.

Five hours of sleep, sometimes less. SOME people around here think because THEY are day-people that the night-owls should also get up around 0430.

When I work my night shifts, I typically get 4-5 hours, and it's my best sleeping. I have no problems staying awake all night. On day shifts, I get around 6, and wake up at 3am to work out before work. I've been getting kinda sleepy in early afternoons but I'm playing around with my eating habits to get around that. On days off, I'll sleep like 9 hours and be useless all day, so I try to roll out after 7 if I can manage it.

It almost seems like I function my best with a slight case of deprivation. I don't know how healthy that is but it seems to work. And since I've been working out, my quality of sleep across the board has skyrocketed.

7ish hours is the average for me. Often less (5-6) and occasionally as much as 8 on the nose.

I read an article that said the average adult before the invention of lights, would sleep 10-12 hours a night. Sounds nice.

Why on earth do you get up at 3 am varmit?

Bad back mostly. I cannot lay down for much over 2 hours and then not in a bed. So I get enough sleep to function in the 3 or 4 hours at night and then take a nap during the day.

Naps are the best thing ever :rockin:

I read an article that said the average adult before the invention of lights, would sleep 10-12 hours a night. Sounds nice.

From what I understand is that they would also have 2 sleep cycles. They would go to bed around 8 and wake up around 12. They would then become active for a few hours and then go back to sleep around 4 and sleep until 8 or so. That was until the invention of street lights that allowed them to stay out later.

Back