Just a little reassurance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrVertebrae

Reaction score
I have two 5gal batches of beer that have been in the first stage fermenter for 6 weeks now. One is a wee heavy and the other is a rye.

I cant do anything with them until this Sunday. The plan is to keg both and let them condition in the kegs.

I feel pretty sure they will be fine despite such a long time on the yeast, so I'm looking for stories of similar such silliness with hopefully happy endings.

people have left their beer up to a year on the yeast with no issues.

My MINIMUM is a month for most beers, sometimes 6 or 8 weeks til I can do something with it. I've left a beer 6 months with no problems.

That's what I wanted to hear! 6 months? A year? Wow! I now feel no rush. Much more fun.

Thanks guys.

I second that. I never do secondary fermentations. In fact some beers, like saisons, often take a few months to simply finish. Also, it is not uncommon for those using Belgian sour mix yeasts or Brettanomyces along with saccharomyces to let them go for a year plus to no ill effects.

The only hurry I feel is when I'm trying to keep the pipeline full-- when I need a carboy of a certain size or I'm trying to keg in time for an event. Otherwise the beer isn't what rushes me. The beer will be fine.

RDWHAHB

That's what I wanted to hear! 6 months? A year? Wow! I now feel no rush. Much more fun.

Thanks guys.

I don't recommend trying to pull off 6 months to a year though FWIW (generally speaking, the big beers do hold up better and require more conditioning). But I agree with everyone else. No problems for you whatsoever.

Back