belgians with American hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nstnate

Reaction score
To the people who have a a lot of practice with belgian beers and American hops, what yeast and which hop or hop blends do you find to work Well together?

I made a Belgian ipa a few months ago with some Amarillo and it came out really nice, still have a few bottles left. I used wyeast 3522 Ardennes. There is a nice blend between the yeast and the hops.

if you're talking about a light, subtle hopping then amarillo and centennial can be quite nice. i've never tried, but seems to me that the dank hops (columbus, chinook, apollo, etc) wouldn't work that well at all. happy to be told i'm wrong, tho!

but if you're talking about hopping it up west coast style, i'm of the opinion that unless done with a lot of care and experience the combo of phenolic belgian yeasts and citrusy american hops doesn't work. i love big IPAs, and i love belgian beers (i always have one of each on tap at all times), but the vast majority of belgian IPAs are pretty bad IMO. obviously some folks love belgo-IPAs. i'm just not one of them.

Back