Soil for containers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
What soil are most of your container growers going with?

I made a mixture of garden soil (bag), sand, and mushroom compost. Basically it was 3 bags of soil, 1 sand, 1 compost. Seemed to be a well draining soil and so far the plants are growing well.

I live in central IL so our natural soil is great for ag. production.... as long as you aren't in a subdivison where they have scraped off all the top soil... oh wait.... I do live there....

I've gone with the miracle grow potting mix w/ moisture control. They seem to grow well with it.

I replanted a 3-yr-old hallertauer this year into Miracle Grow garden soil mixed with Alabama topsoil and so far the poor plant has struggled to even stay alive. It's been fairly cold in Maine still and the past week has been mostly rain but it seems like the plant just can't get itself growing. The main bine (that reached ~3ft at its peak) decided one day to start turning brown and dropping leaves like crazy - within 2 days the entire bine had withered away. I keep getting new bines sprouting up but every one that seems to get around 5" or so just stops growing, and I'm lucky if the leaves don't turn brown and fall off like the other bines have. Underwatering hasn't been an issue, and the soil has great drainage so overwatering shouldn't be severely problematic. I've supplemented with 12-4-8 fertilizer (I've read hops like a lot of nitrogen) but still no decent growth. I'm hoping once the sun returns I'll see a change but so far this useless plant has me tearing my hair out for 3 years in a row...

Back