Too late to start?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NicoleBrewer

Reaction score
I would like to buy some hop rhizomes and start growing hops at my house. Is it too late to plant them this year? I live in New England. Any info on how to get started, when, and where to purchase them would be great

Check with your LHBS first to buy them but there are several places online that might still have some.

i wouldn't think its too late for new england.. mine are doing well but the weather is just starting to get great for growing here in PA.. get crowns from great lakes and they will start to grow much faster than rhizomes.. their service is top notch

Thanks for the info. I'm attempting 3 different rhizomes and hoping for the best. I am the absolute worst when it comes to gardening and could kill just about anything I try to grow! I could probably kill weeds! I have one I'm trying to grow up my deck, when in my back yard on a post and my husband is going to try one indoors with grow lights. He's much better at this stuff than me

Sorry if I am hijacking the thread, but what about in Texas? I had ruled out starting this year until this weekend when my parents brought me some herbs for my balcony, and started thinking about hops again. Maybe I could get one little rhizome in a big planter?

They're so inexpensive it's worth a try. Especially if you do it in a planter you can always bring it indoors. I'm not sure when the growing season starts for Texas but isn't it always warm? Would it make a difference when you planted them if its always warm?

From what I have read most people plant them early and harvest early (mid July or so). On top of that my apartment balcony is small, very enclosed (not a railing but a half wall) and gets direct evening sunlight.

I guess I might as well try if my LHBS still has some rhizomes.

Back