austin homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musclebrew

Reaction score
Has anyone purchased one of austin homebrew clone kits,if you have are they any good? They seem to have alot to choose from. THANKS

I've gotten several minimash kits from them, and all have been excellent. The clones I have tried have been close, but not perfectly true, to the original. I guess there is enough variation in ingredients and techniques that one cannot expect perfect duplication of any commercial brew. The economy kits are just as good as any other, and cheap.

I did their Fat Tire clone (all grain). I turned out pretty good, though I wouldn't say 100% match. That was likely my fault though, as it was my first AGO attempt at the time.

Remember, ~95% of beer is water. And yeast management plays a huge role in the final outcome.

Give ten different brewers the same grains, hops, and yeast, and you'll wind up with 10 different beers because of the variations in water chemistry and yeast management.

That being said, AHS has great "clone" kits, and LOTS of them!

I did their Cannon Ball Stout with some variations to it. I took a gravity reading when transferring to secondary, and it was very tasty, though obviously not ready yet. I also got some ingredients from them to make my own IPA recipe. I really like how they allow you to create your own steeping grain bill for extract. You input the amounts and they will mix it all into one bag. It's really good for making your own extract recipe with a complex malt bill.

My post doesn't really answer your question about their clone kits, but I can vouch for them as a really solid retailer.

I have made a number of mini mash beer kits from ABH. The clones are close to the originals......... but like some of my other fellow brewers have said....... There are variables to each brewer that may change the final outcome of the beer. I have been really pleased with the kits I bought from them. I have even brewed their session beer kits and really liked them as well. I'll continue to do business with ABH :)

I really like Austin home brew clone kits. The few I have tried come close and that is all I can really expect with the variables mentioned above. I also like their flat rate shipping and their pricing is competitive to local home brew option, unlike some Internet based home brew companies ( NB) that are over priced after you add shipping IMO...

Back