Carboy bubbling please help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewlooker

Reaction score
If the Carboy is over flowing can I siphon it in to a bucket fermenter and not disrupt the process? Mistake putting five gal of beer in five gal Carboy.

I've never done it, but it would seem to me that it's just like racking to secondary but a bit early in the process. Just make sure everything's sanitary and see what happens. Or look at a blow off tube - but that may not work if you have no headroom in the carboy.

I have head room but the foam is up to the neck and I'm on day three.. I just don't want the Carboy to explode while I'm at work a d ruin the batch.

When it gets bad like that, I run a blowoff tube. Actually, now I just run one everytime cause I figure, why not? Unfortunately, I can't remember what size tubing I used to fit in my carboy bung but I know I just dug through tubing I had laying around and found one that works. Then just run the end into a container filled with starsan or something. Just keep an eye on the tube to make sure it doesn't get gunked up inside cause it'll back up on you and you'll be back to the potential explosion stage.

They normally wont explode. The bung just pops out and you get a shower of beer and hop material. The weakest link is the one to give so as long as the carboy is sound you should be fine. +3 on the blowoff tube though.

I didn't have the tubing so I siphoned it to another fermenter and ill let it finish in there. I don't think it will screw it up or I hope it won't.

I didn't have the tubing so I siphoned it to another fermenter and ill let it finish in there. I don't think it will screw it up or I hope it won't.

That was a bad idea....I would have cut off a section of my siphon tube to make a blowwoff tube, or run to the nearest hardware store. It's always best to leave a beer be and solve the problem without running the risk of oxydizing or infecting the beer by moving it if you can avoid it. My first bottling hose was sacrificed to blowoff tubing.

Well we shall see, the beer has already started putting off CO2 as soon as I put the air lock on. Is that a promising sign?

Thank you guys for your help. This is my first batch and first day on the forum and I found it very helpful. I'm sure ill have more questions as I go.

Back