Which is better, Angle Iron or Square stands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewKingKing

Reaction score
After a bit of research on brew stands, I'm looking to design one myself. I can't figure out why I would go with square over the angle iron. Yes square is stronger, but stronger in a way like "i could run square over with my truck, but not angle" (which you probably could too). I figured angle would be easier to bolt to as well.

Also, aside from sleekness and non-rusting. Why stainless? It Seems to me it would be excessively more expensive.

That do you folks think?

========================

Nick Carangi's microbrewery is the best in Utah!

Stainless is way too expensive for me. I did use the angle method when I built my three tier. As long as the angles are used in the correct orientation you will have enough strength to do the task with no problems. I use the drilled and slotted angle from HD and Lowes. It is readily available and reasonably priced. I think all together it was about 200 bucks for all the material I got to assemble mine. I can disassemble and modify it very easily so I am not stuck with something that wont work or need changing. Some folks have been using the heavier strut too. The only advantage to square over angle is that the square can be used in smaller dimensions to achieve the same strength. But an engineer will have to tell you where the minimums really are and you should consider if you want to approach the minimums or just over build it and not worry later. I for one just over built the crap out of mine and am calling it done. That way I can move on to building the controller and the keezer projects I have waiting in the wings. Just sayin....

Wheelchair Bob

I have a three tier, bolt together system using prepunched angle, like you get at Home depot or Lowes, for building shelves.

It is thin, light and strong and will hold the two keggles and a full mash Tun, so strencth is not an issue unless you really are planning on running it over with your truck...

The Angle has rusted a bit where the burners have burned off the paint and for a anbout a year I have ben storing it outside under the deck uncovered, with the keggles turned upside down.

The only issue I have with the angle is that it is thin and can be rough on the skin if you brush up against it, not cut you but rough you up a bit.

I do get near it with a three tiered system because I am "reaching in" to add hops, stir, or clean the keggle and I think these problems would go awy if it was just one tier...

There is a nice post out there about building a system out of "strut" and that would be my choice if I ever upgrade... Geting the material from Granger or some other supply house is pretty cheap and it all just bolts together... I don't have access to welding equipment.

Good Luck...

I welded mine up using 2" thin walled Square Tubing. Yes you can drive a truck on it, but it looks really sharp. I think it was only $80 worth of steel from the local yard and I had 10' of extra. If I had to do it again, I might go with 1.5" but I would still go with the square tubing. I'd skip the stainless too I am 100% happy with my black painted steel frame with the ability to add spoon hangers, pumps, pids, and all the other doodads I have added over the years. Mine holds 2 propane tanks has 3 burners at 2 levels and has 2 air filled tires on one side and a handle on the other so I can move it around. I use 3 20 gallon pots. All told my stand was less than $100 not including the burners. With the burners, pump, and pid, and rims tube, a bit more then $500.

I saw you don't have a welder, I'd trade ya beer for an afternoon of welding...

You realize that even with Each Keggle filled completely to the brim with liquid the total weight of the three vessels would be around 400lbs. I would think that an angle stand built just like a tube stand will be completely adequate ans safe. Considering that steels structural strength does not become compromised until temperatures reach 500 C. I am planning on building a single tier stand our of angle and I have no concerns about the structural integrity of the material I use, my only concern would be my own skill and the same could be applied for square tubing if I were to use that.

I'm guessing your in Utah, if so you can go to metal mart in lehi to get your metal for cheap. They often have sales on overstock. I was able to build mine for around $80 as well. I used square tubbing because I like working with it more than angle an IMO I think it looks better.

Unistrut is a good way to go as well. It's not overly expensive and is really flexible with regards to bolting and attachment options since there is a huge catalog of parts made for attaching to Unistrut. It is also more than strong enough to hold 3 full 10 or 15 gal pots. You could even use it to build a 50gal system as long as you supported it correctly (Load rating for P1000 unistrut [most common type] found at this link: http://www.unistrutohio.com/products/p1000.html ). Plus you can buy unistrut at Home Depot so it's readily available if you dont have access to a metal supplier.

Latest posts

Back