who is using AEB kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kitchenbeer

Reaction score
I'm really thinking about picking two up.

What I think I know about them:
1: the poppets are replaceable, but sacrificial
2: they have firestone 19/32 18 post threads
3: they can take universal poppets. i'm not entirely sure because the poppets listed for them are shaped different at the top.

would a set of cornykeg.com 19/12 thread pinlock to ballock conversion posts screw onto these kegs?

what kind of diptube do these have, strait or angled?

are the lids a standard size?

if you own AEB kegs is there anything you regret about buying them?

I have a couple of the aeb kegs and a few used cornies. I am not sure about the post conversions. The diptubes are angled just like my old ball lock cornies. I have noticed when I am tightening the out post (the one with the long dip tube) once it gets starts to get tight the dip tube turns with the ball lock. In other words after tightening the dip tube is not in the center of the keg, it is kind of annoying. My used kegs dont do that. Its not a big deal though.

I believe the lids are the same size but I'm not exactly sure and cant check now because both aeb kegs are in the kegerator.

The only other thing I dont like about the aebs besides the dip tube turning when tightened is the handle. I much prefer the soft rubber handles of the used ones, they are more comfy when shaking the kegs when im cleaning and sanitizing. The good thing about the aeb handles is it is a little easier to connect the in and out posts because you have more room.

Hopefully this helps you somewhat. I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along and give some better info.

I'm really thinking about picking two up.

What I think I know about them:
1: the poppets are replaceable, but sacrificial
2: they have firestone 19/32 18 post threads
3: they can take universal poppets. i'm not entirely sure because the poppets listed for them are shaped different at the top.

would a set of cornykeg.com 19/12 thread pinlock to ballock conversion posts screw onto these kegs?

what kind of diptube do these have, strait or angled?

are the lids a standard size?

if you own AEB kegs is there anything you regret about buying them?

I just bought one of the new 2.5 gallon AEB Ball Lock kegs. I replaced the posts with 19/32 18 pin lock posts that I had. I have found that on the liquid side if I tighten the post all the way a disconnect wont latch on because the pin lock post is shorter overall than the ball lock. I don't have this issue on the gas side - I think there is some upward pressure from the liquid dip tube that is factoring in (as you tighten the dip tube touches the bottom of the keg. I have just been hand tightening the liquid post and then adding a little more tension with my socket wrench.

The poppets are replaceable, but are typically destroyed when removed. The replacement poppets are available in the same style, but typically the shorter poppets that work on AEB are better (or so I was told by the retailer I bought mine from). I would think a universal poppet would work fine on these, but you may have issues if you convert to pin lock as I have had (as I'm already using the smallest poppets available). I know other people have shortened the universal poppets to make them work on certain pin lock kegs.

The liquid dip tube is angled. The lid looks to be standard sized - my AEB keg is full right now so I can't confirm for you by putting another lid on. I can take some pics later if you'd like - let me know if you have any other questions.

Back