Research... I want to start kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richlong8020

Reaction score
Ok so here's the deal. I have been brewing for over a year now and think its time to make the jump to kegging. I normally have 2 brews bottled at a time plus a cider.

I have nothing as far as kegging goes so I need a list. I know I need a fridge of sorts and a CO2 tank. But what else.

My goal is to run four at a time because I enjoy making a stout once in a while so I need a keg for the aging.

As always I look forward to the advice.

4 of the following:

ball/pin lock kegs
gas/liquid disconnects -
hose clamps to connect your tubing to your co2 manifold and disconnects
gas/liquid tubing. gas inner diameter doesn't matter, liquid use 3/16 i believe - 10 foot each for liquid - reduces foaming

picnic taps if you wanna start cheaper, that's where i'm at right now. works fine
4 way co2 manifold
co2 regulator, dual if you wanna carb different kegs at different levels

that's about it. i've had a few tonight so I may have forgotten something.

Best investment you can make if it's a hobby you're truly into.

4 of the following:

ball/pin lock kegs
gas/liquid disconnects -
hose clamps to connect your tubing to your co2 manifold and disconnects
gas/liquid tubing. gas inner diameter doesn't matter, liquid use 3/16 i believe - 10 foot each for liquid - reduces foaming

picnic taps if you wanna start cheaper, that's where i'm at right now. works fine
4 way co2 manifold
co2 regulator, dual if you wanna carb different kegs at different levels

that's about it. i've had a few tonight so I may have forgotten something.

Best investment you can make if it's a hobby you're truly into.

That pretty much sums it up - food grade sanitizer is really the only thing I'd add to his list (aside from the aforementioned fridge and CO2 tank).

I have a setup in my basement I will be getting going this summer (four way service via picnic taps) once I get the tank filled and some idopher solution. I don't think I have enough room in my spare fridge for it all though :cross: we shall see.

If you look at any of the major kegging vendors here on the board (kegconnection, kegcowboy, birdman) they will have keg kits with everything you need to get up and running. Also, consider shooting them an email or PM with your specific questions (or ask here, its the point of a forum!).

If you go with picnic/cobra taps, it will save you money upfront over faucets and shanks, the downside is you have to open your fridge/freezer anytime you want to pour a beer. Personally I went with SS shanks + perlicks right from the get go. I got my equipment from keg cow boy and had a great experience overall. Another friend got his equipment from keg connection and he had a great experience too.

I would advise against the cheaper, non perlick faucets. They tend to gum up and stick.

www.kegconnection.com

They shipped me everything you need PLUS a few "free" extras of rings and such all set up and hooked up. It took a little of the DIY aspect out, but also the uncertainty.

+1 on the kegconnection guys they r awsome.I live in hawaii and i got everything shipped to me hassel free. They even took care of me wen i ordered something wrong quick and fast service.

63belair said:
If you look at any of the major kegging vendors here on the board (kegconnection, kegcowboy, birdman) they will have keg kits with everything you need to get up and running. Also, consider shooting them an email or PM with your specific questions (or ask here, its the point of a forum!).

If you go with picnic/cobra taps, it will save you money upfront over faucets and shanks, the downside is you have to open your fridge/freezer anytime you want to pour a beer. Personally I went with SS shanks + perlicks right from the get go. I got my equipment from keg cow boy and had a great experience overall. Another friend got his equipment from keg connection and he had a great experience too.

I would advise against the cheaper, non perlick faucets. They tend to gum up and stick.

Make sure to read reviews about the vendor before buying. Kegcowboy has a bad rep on HBT (very slow to fill orders, bad communication). Kegconnection seems to have a good reputation as do others.

The Home Brewing Community -> Company Reviews topic area is the place to read reviews about these companies.

Back