When to add honey to Blonde.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
So for my next brew i have decided to make a Blonde.I want to add some honey that i got from the farmers market and i am not sure how much or when to do so.Some of what i read said to wait until a majority of primary fermentation has stopped.Problem is i want a faint taste of honey without pushing up my FG number.Is it possible or am i dreaming?

If you want the honey taste in your beer you would have to add it a bottling then pasteurize the bottles when it's carbed. That's the only way I have read of getting honey flavor in the beer because honey will ferment out so adding it at any other time you would lose all honey flavor

Honey malt. honey does not add an appreciable honey taste after fermentation and will increase your OG. It is almost entirely fermentable.

Try 8 oz honey malt and a lb of honey.

yeah 5 gallon batch.May just add some honey malt like you suggested adamc.

Just kegged my first batch using honey malt (kern river citra) and theres a very honey like texture and piercived sweetness (finished @ .009) that i find quite pleasing after trying to add honey to multiple batchs and only getting a faint aroma.
This is a great way to go if you want that same characteristic.
Also remember you can adjust your grain bill to stay within a specific ABV while also adding honey.

Maple on the other hand is another story, i have had great experience adding it at the 2/3 sugar break or when krausen is starting to fall and getting a very woodsy like maple aroma and pronouced flavor, always use grade b amber though. Tons of more flavor (sorry for the off topic!)

Just kegged my first batch using honey malt (kern river citra) and theres a very honey like texture and piercived sweetness (finished @ .009) that i find quite pleasing after trying to add honey to multiple batchs and only getting a faint aroma.
This is a great way to go if you want that same characteristic.
Also remember you can adjust your grain bill to stay within a specific ABV while also adding honey.

Maple on the other hand is another story, i have had great experience adding it at the 2/3 sugar break or when krausen is starting to fall and getting a very woodsy like maple aroma and pronouced flavor, always use grade b amber though. Tons of more flavor (sorry for the off topic!)

I brewed that beer last year. Turned out great. Very close to the real thing as well.

Honey malt is my secret weapon. I use it very sparingly, but I use it in most ales that I do. Yes, it has a honey flavor. If you're an extract brewer just steep it with your other specialty grains. A little goes a long way.

Back