Did my first partial mash. Things went... poorly

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m0nkeybl1tz

Reaction score
So my buddy and I decided to do our first partial mash last night, and we screwed it up pretty badly. I was just wondering what effects this will have on the final beer, and whether it's still worth letting it ferment.

1. During the mash, we didn't control the temperature very well. The first 20 minutes were too hot (~160), and the next 20 were too cold (~140). We got it more or less right for the last 20, and we did 10 more minutes for good measure, but we're not sure what effect this will have.

2. We bought a packet of 5 Irish moss tablets, and at the end of the boil my buddy threw in all 5.

3. We were making a cherry wheat, and I think we added the cherry syrup too late in the boil. We added it with about 5 minutes left, and when we poured it into the fermenter it looked kind of thick and chunky.

One other problem, and I'm not sure where it came from, is that when we poured it into the fermenter, there was a clear layer about an inch thick on top that I'd never seen before. So what do you guys think? Is this salvageable?

So my buddy and I decided to do our first partial mash last night, and we screwed it up pretty badly. I was just wondering what effects this will have on the final beer, and whether it's still worth letting it ferment.

1. During the mash, we didn't control the temperature very well. The first 20 minutes were too hot (~160), and the next 20 were too cold (~140). We got it more or less right for the last 20, and we did 10 more minutes for good measure, but we're not sure what effect this will have.

2. We bought a packet of 5 Irish moss tablets, and at the end of the boil my buddy threw in all 5.

3. We were making a cherry wheat, and I think we added the cherry syrup too late in the boil. We added it with about 5 minutes left, and when we poured it into the fermenter it looked kind of thick and chunky.

One other problem, and I'm not sure where it came from, is that when we poured it into the fermenter, there was a clear layer about an inch thick on top that I'd never seen before. So what do you guys think? Is this salvageable?

1. While that's not ideal, it should be fine. The enzymes don't denature until at least 10 minutes or so at 168 so you probably didn't do much, if any, damage. Ideally you'd hold it at 150-155 for the entire time but since it was a partial mash and you used extract for most of the fermentables, I don't think there will be any problems.

2. The beer should sure be clear! :D Any excess Irish moss just falls to the bottom (it doesn't dissolve in the beer) so you shouldn't notice any problems.

3. I have no idea, sorry! I've never used fruit flavor extract in a boil before so I'm not sure how/what is normal.

I don't know what the "clear layer" is- do you have a picture?

Ok, thanks guys, I'm feeling a lot better about it. The clear part at the top actually disappeared overnight, which was nice, however I think it's still there, just working its way toward the bottom (you can kind of see a very thin layer between the beer and the sediment). I'm still not sure what it is, but hopefully it's ok.

VxwR7nR.jpg

Back