Most over rated craft beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An over hyped beer is not necessarily a bad beer. Just one that does not match the mass hysteria that surrounds it.

I hear ya. Except for what I read here, I'm pretty much alone when it comes to good craft beer. Friends and family that do drink beer stick to BMC mostly. So I guess I don't hear much of the hype myself..

Sculpin
Green Flash West Coast IPA
Rogue dry Hopped Red
And our only local pale ale in the bottle, Icky from Great Basin

Feinbera, i'm not sure i understand your logic ... Pliny the younger is overrated because it is damn good and you yearn for the day when they produce more of it?

I agree with him. Its a great beer but it is over-hyped. Its "get it every time if it was available all the time good", but not "wait 2 hours in line in the hopes you get to taste it good".

Some possible better titles for this thread:

"Beers I don't like as much as other people"

"Beers that used to be hyped, but have faded into semi-obscurity, that I still want to complain about"

"Beers I wish I didn't cost so much"

"Any hype is too much hype."

Seriously though, Hopslam? Hasn't that horse been beat enough?
120? If there was any hype about this beer, it was when it came out, what 10 yrs ago?
Oberon? Oberon? Hype? Oberon Hype? What???? It's a grocery store beer available in 18 states.

Perhaps things are a bit different in your parts but the release of hopslam is still a huge event here in illinois, you have to get on a wait list and pay the 20 for a six pack. If a bar has it on tap they typically sell out in a night or two. Oberon is not as big of a deal as hopslam but still get some folks wound up when it comes out. Therefore in my opinion both are overrated. Not sure what it matters if "that horse has been beat", it's still true regardless of how long ago it was said or how often. As for your thread title suggestion they don't really make sense. It's been stated quite often overrated does not mean bad, most of the beers mentioned here are ones that are really good. Don't think any of the beers noted have faded to semi-obscurity, maybe a few but that;s the minority. Cost of a beer has little to do with something being overrated, just a byproduct of demand exceeding supply. Cigar city is a grocery store beer and not expensive and I find them overrated. Some hype is fine with me. I like to know what beers are new and have a favorable reputation, but the have to get it now mentality associated with most of the beers mentions are too much.

TNGabe said:
Some possible better titles for this thread:

"Beers I don't like as much as other people"

"Beers that used to be hyped, but have faded into semi-obscurity, that I still want to complain about"

"Beers I wish I didn't cost so much"

"Any hype is too much hype."

Seriously though, Hopslam? Hasn't that horse been beat enough?
120? If there was any hype about this beer, it was when it came out, what 10 yrs ago?
Oberon? Oberon? Hype? Oberon Hype? What???? It's a grocery store beer available in 18 states.

This guy, I like him :)

Mikkeller. Anything I've ever had by Mikkeller. They should be ashamed by their prices.

McBrewskie said:
Mikkeller. Anything I've ever had by Mikkeller. They should be ashamed by their prices.

Maybe you should be ashamed of paying that much, but he should be proud of himself for making so much money.

This may be a post floating around already but thought I'd put it out there. What's the 5 most over rated craft beers in your opinion. Mine in no particular order are

Jai alai by cigar city
Oberon by bells
Dark lord Three floyds
Dogfish head 120
New Glarus Wisconsin cherry red.
For the record I like most of the above beers. Just think the hype exceeds the product.

I think anything by Sierra Nevada is highly overrated. So is anything by Kettle House or Bayern Brewing. They all have a nasty aftertaste and/or a funky flavour (unpleasant) to them. Each is unique, but all are just nasty IMHO. I know there are a lot of people out there who love these brews, but I think they're highly overrated.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

gratus fermentatio said:
I think anything by Sierra Nevada is highly overrated. So is anything by Kettle House or Bayern Brewing. They all have a nasty aftertaste and/or a funky flavour (unpleasant) to them. Each is unique, but all are just nasty IMHO. I know there are a lot of people out there who love these brews, but I think they're highly overrated.
Just my 2 cents worth. Regards, GF.

As a hop head..... What about the hoptimum???

Latest posts

Back