Re: Will this fitting work for a bottom drain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I've been in contact with Bobby M, and he's been very helpful. I've been looking around in order to save some $$, but Bobby seems to be THE source!

I have ordered a few NPT threaded fittings from that vendor and had mixed results. Some parts have been good and cheap, others just cheap. I have asked for (and received) replacements once or twice because the part has been cast too thin on the thread. Also some of the parts were not smooth on the inside.

I usually order my triclamp stuff from CSI designs unless it's just one or two pieces.

Interesting -- Last month I ordered a test part from this vendor (dailyappliance2010) and it was solid so last week I placed an order for another $70 in fittings (which is about half the price I was finding elsewhere). That's a bummer that the parts have been inconsistent -- hopefully I get lucky. I'll have to check out CSI designs...

I had a couple of bad hex nipples (which they replaced) but the hose barbs and locknuts I ordered were fine - as good as from Bargain Fittings. The best quality fittings I have were from ProFlowDynamics. Really smooth and 316.

CSI do have very good prices on the basics. I've also ordered triclamp stuff through Brewers Hardware and been perfectly satisfied.

I've bought a few times with the seller and once you understand how they list items they aren't too bad to deal with. Most of the sanitary stuff they have is listed by the od of the flange, which really isn't standard practice. A 2"(50.5mm) sanitary fitting has a 64mm flange and a 1.5" (38mm)fitting has a 50.5mm flange so you really have to pay attention to how they list things. The fittings they have aren't that different than you will get from Stout, Glacier, Bobby or many of the other vendors sourcing their stock from China, but the US vendors will have things spelled out much better.

OP, What you linked is not the fitting you want for a direct connection to a keg unless you are having a 1.5" sanitary fitting welded into the bottom of the keg.

If you're looking for a one stop shop to get only a bottom drain setup, Bobby is probably your man, but if you're buying a ton of fittings then it might be worth looking around at the different sources.

You want 2" Triclover which is 2.516" (64mm) actual flange OD.

Be aware you get what you pay for with triclover fittings.

You're not going to do much better than this:
http://brewhardware.com/valves/137-tcsanke

I've bought a few times with the seller and once you understand how they list items they aren't too bad to deal with. Most of the sanitary stuff they have is listed by the od of the flange, which really isn't standard practice. A 2"(50.5mm) sanitary fitting has a 64mm flange and a 1.5" (38mm)fitting has a 50.5mm flange so you really have to pay attention to how they list things. The fittings they have aren't that different than you will get from Stout, Glacier, Bobby or many of the other vendors sourcing their stock from China, but the US vendors will have things spelled out much better.

OP, What you linked is not the fitting you want for a direct connection to a keg unless you are having a 1.5" sanitary fitting welded into the bottom of the keg.

If you're looking for a one stop shop to get only a bottom drain setup, Bobby is probably your man, but if you're buying a ton of fittings then it might be worth looking around at the different sources.

Thanks for this. And, agreed that Bobby is probably the best source

Back