best method to check gravity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hitman73

Reaction score
Hi, Im a first time brewer. What is the best method to check OG and FG and not waste too much beer? Im having trouoble finding a larger beaker type vessel that my hydrometer will fit in.
I have been told not to put the hydrometer directly into the fermentor.

Prior to fermentation, use a refractometer. It uses just a few drops. I got mine a couple of months ago off of eBay for about $26 delivered from Hong Kong. It makes it very easy to adjust the length of your boil on the fly in order to meet the OG you are shooting for. Once fermentation has started you should use the hydrometer. Any LHBS store will sell you a cylinder for testing gravity. Personally, I don't even think about checking gravity until my beer has been fermenting for about three weeks and I am getting ready to keg or bottle.

Hi, Im a first time brewer. What is the best method to check OG and FG and not waste too much beer? Im having trouoble finding a larger beaker type vessel that my hydrometer will fit in.
I have been told not to put the hydrometer directly into the fermentor.

use a wine thief and return the sample

You can use the tube the hydrometer comes in or one that is for testing that has a base on it . Slightly larger. It can easily be found online. A traditional beaker is wide and short. You can put the hydrometer in the fermenter if you sanitize VERY well.

Here is one:http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/economy-test-jar.html

+1. I've also used a friend's refractometer, but you're going to have to sanitize whatever you use to get beer out of the fermenter anyways... might as well just sanitize the hydrometer and put it in the fermenter. If your sanitation is diligent though it's no problem.

only if you sanitation is bad, its exactly what it designed to do.
if its not sanitary enough to return, it wasn't sanitary enough to dip into your fermentor

only if you sanitation is bad, its exactly what it designed to do.
if its not sanitary enough to return, it wasn't sanitary enough to dip into your fermentor

But we never know if an existing bug is contained in the beer thief. So if you don't return it, then you just might avoid a problem.

Bingo Jethro! Not worth the risk IMO. Plus its fun to taste at different stages.

right, by returning the sample you're exposing both the outside and the inside of the thief to the beer, and opening the carboy twice (or keeping it open between when you pull and when you return).

not returning = only outside of thief is exposed to the beer in the FV, and the FV is only opened once for a short period of time.

i think the "loss", as minimal as it is, it totally worth it for the experience of drinking the beer and learning about how it evolves.

since the valve doesn't close instantaneously you exposing it anyways. if your lax on the sanitation don't stick it in the fermentor.

right, by returning the sample you're exposing both the outside and the inside of the thief to the beer, and opening the carboy twice (or keeping it open between when you pull and when you return).
wait , what? twice? a minute? why even pull the thief out completely? Your reading through the thief it take 5-10 seconds?

wait , what? twice? why even pull the thief out completely? Your reading through the thief it take 5-10 seconds?
ah, thanks for the clarification. never have returned my sample, your process hadn't occurred to me. i was thinking that you'd pull a sample, take the thief out of the carboy to evaluate, then your stick it back in to return the sample.

although not as big a difference with your approach, the point remains: 5-10 seconds to get a read, vs. none when you pull out (insert adolescent joke here :ban:)

Thanks guys. I think i will drink my samples, i like the idea of seeing how it evolves. I spoke to the person in the brew shop and she said provided i sanitise i can put the hydro in the fermentor, however i dont like the idea of opening more than just the tap on the fermentor. I shall decide on the day lol

Prior to fermentation, use a refractometer. It uses just a few drops. I got mine a couple of months ago off of eBay for about $26 delivered from Hong Kong. It makes it very easy to adjust the length of your boil on the fly in order to meet the OG you are shooting for. Once fermentation has started you should use the hydrometer. Any LHBS store will sell you a cylinder for testing gravity. Personally, I don't even think about checking gravity until my beer has been fermenting for about three weeks and I am getting ready to keg or bottle.

I herad those cheapys from Hong Kong, China, tiwan fAll apart after so long.

Back