Aluminum kettles. Thoughts & opinions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Reaction score
I use one. If I'm making 5 gal batches. I burnt 2 hop socks with my other my small stainlees one. I've heard what has been said about usining aluminum. Tannins, off flavors. I was also told heat treating it in your oven at, I think 375° - 400° for a couple of hours will take care off that off flavor it would give. Plus, I can't afford a bigger stainless or copper kettle. Any thoughts?

I used aluminum for a while before buying stainless. I wouldn't worry too much about using aluminum. What I can tell you is that it's harder to clean. And don't leave oxi clean solution in it overnight. Now I can only use it for pressure canning since it ate the oxide layer off the aluminum leaving ugly dark grey aluminum underneath. Keep an eye on craigslist for turkey fryers. I bought my 11 gallon stainless with strainer basket, lid and propane burner for $40 on craigslist.

I used aluminum for a while before buying stainless. I wouldn't worry too much about using aluminum. What I can tell you is that it's harder to clean. And don't leave oxi clean solution in it overnight. Now I can only use it for pressure canning since it ate the oxide layer off the aluminum leaving ugly dark grey aluminum underneath. Keep an eye on craigslist for turkey fryers. I bought my 11 gallon stainless with strainer basket, lid and propane burner for $40 on craigslist.

Ugly, dark grey aluminum IS your oxide layer. Aluminum is fine. Boil water in it first to build up an (ugly grey) oxide layer. Then use it like normal. There should be no off flavors.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe aluminum allows heat to transfer through it more quickly than ss, shortening your cool-down time. If ss weren't so shiny and pretty, I'd switch to aluminum for that fact alone.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe aluminum allows heat to transfer through it more quickly than ss, shortening your cool-down time. If ss weren't so shiny and pretty, I'd switch to aluminum for that fact alone.

Think your right about heating up faster.

I'm not too concerned. Both times I used it. Beer turned out pretty good. One person gave me $6.00 bucks for a 6er. That I made in it. I was curious as to what other opinions are on it.

There are some pretty epic aluminum vs. SS threads on here if you're really interested...

I use a 7.5 gall aluminum kettle, no issues. They are thin though, I have not added a ball valve for that reason.

If it's a decent thickness Al pot, you're fine.

You won't be able to wear out an Al pot in your lifetime, but you might not be able to pass it down to your children like you might a big stainless pot.

I use a 10-gal aluminum pot and have no problems with it whatsoever. Mine is a nice, heavy-duty thick-walled one, so I did install a drain valve and sight glass on it. Bought the pot and lid for right around $50 off amazon.

pabloj13 said:
Ugly, dark grey aluminum IS your oxide layer. Aluminum is fine. Boil water in it first to build up an (ugly grey) oxide layer. Then use it like normal. There should be no off flavors.

This is exactly what I was going to say. You've a perfectly good kettle just wasting space ;)

25518 said:
I'm not too concerned. Both times I used it. Beer turned out pretty good. One person gave me $6.00 bucks for a 6er. That I made in it. I was curious as to what other opinions are on it.

You mean he gave you the $6 he owed you for that back massage... and you hooked him up with a sixer.

Mine is pretty thick. Before too long, I'll be slowly upgrading.

Back